How to Solve the Impulse Problem with a 70-g Steel Ball in Contact with a Plate

• Thread starter preluderacer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impulse
In summary, a 70-g steel ball is dropped onto a steel plate, making contact for 0.5 ms and then rebounding elastically to its original height. The total round trip time is 2.00 s. To calculate the average force exerted on the ball during contact, the 0.5 ms of contact time can be neglected. The ball falls for 1 second at a speed of 9.8 m/s and then rises at the same speed. The change in momentum is related to impulse and should be calculated with attention to direction.
preluderacer

Homework Statement

A 70-g steel ball is released from rest and falls vertically onto a steel plate. The ball strikes the plate and is in contact with it for 0.5 ms. The ball rebounds elastically, and returns to its original height. The time interval for a round trip is 2.00 s. In this situation, the average force exerted on the ball during contact with the plate is closest to:

The Attempt at a Solution

Im not sure about a lot in this problem. Do I calculate the velocity has it falling for 1 sec or .75 sec or I shouldn't need to do that? I am so confused on this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't get why do you have those 2.00 s here. What is balls velocity when it hits the plate? When it re-bounces? How is change in momentum related to to impulse?

So does it fall down in 1 sec? Is it then moving at 9.8 m/s. Does it then go up at 9.8 m/s?

preluderacer said:
Do I calculate the velocity has it falling for 1 sec or .75 sec or I shouldn't need to do that?
You're told that the total round trip time is 2.00 s and that the time in contact with the floor is 0.5 ms, so as far as computing the speed as it hits the floor you can safely neglect that 0.5 ms.

preluderacer said:
So does it fall down in 1 sec? Is it then moving at 9.8 m/s. Does it then go up at 9.8 m/s?
Yes.

so what I did was have (0.070kg(9.8m/s)-0.070kg(9.8m/s) / 0.005 s ? This seems very wrong to me

preluderacer said:
so what I did was have (0.070kg(9.8m/s)-0.070kg(9.8m/s) / 0.005 s ? This seems very wrong to me
Careful with signs. Momentum is a vector--direction matters.

1. What is an impulse problem?

An impulse problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the change in momentum of an object over a specific period of time. It is also known as a collision or impact problem.

2. How do you calculate impulse?

Impulse can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the time over which the force is applied. This can be represented by the equation: Impulse = Force x Time.

3. What is the difference between impulse and momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. Impulse, on the other hand, is a measure of the change in momentum over time. In other words, momentum is the quantity of motion an object has, while impulse is the quantity of motion that has been added or taken away from an object.

4. How does the conservation of momentum apply to impulse problems?

The conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant before and after a collision or interaction. In impulse problems, this means that the total initial momentum of the objects involved will be equal to the total final momentum after the collision or impact has taken place.

5. What are some real-life examples of impulse problems?

Some real-life examples of impulse problems include a person catching a ball, a car crashing into a barrier, a tennis player hitting a ball with a racket, or a boxer punching a punching bag. In each of these situations, there is a change in momentum over a specific period of time, making it an impulse problem.