How Does Thermal Conductivity Affect Heat Transfer Between Two Water Vessels?

• Thread starter Roxas ross
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the time taken for the temperature difference between two adiabatic vessels, each filled with water at different temperatures, to become half its initial value. A metal rod with length (L), cross-sectional area (A), and thermal conductivity (K) is inserted into the vessels, with no openings except for where the rod meets the vessels. The specific heat capacity of water is (S) and the heat capacity of the rod and container are neglected, along with any heat loss to the atmosphere. The rate of heat flow is determined by the equation MS(dT/dt) = KA(temperature difference/length of rod), and the net rate of heat flow across the rod is equal to the heat dissipated by
Roxas ross
1. Two adibatic vessels,each of mass (M) of water at different temperatures.the ends of a metal rod of length (L),area of cross section (A) and thermal conductivity (K),are inserted in the vessels filled with water.there are no openings on these vessels other than the place where the ends of the rod meet the vessels.find the time taken for the temperature difference to become half its initial value.the specific heat capacity of water is (S). neglect the heat capacity of the rod and the container and any loss of heat to the atmosphere.2. MS(dT/dt)=rate of heat flow
KA( temperature difference between the ends of the rod/length of rod)= rate of heat flow through the rod.
3.net rate of heat that flows across the rod = rate of heat dissipated by the vessel at higher temperature( at an instant) - rate of heat absorbed by the vessel with lower temperature ( at the same instant)

Physics news on Phys.org
Roxas ross said:
net rate of heat that flows across the rod = rate of heat dissipated by the vessel at higher temperature( at an instant) - rate of heat absorbed by the vessel with lower temperature ( at the same instant)
That contradicts the correct statement you made at point 2 re heat flow.

Please show a real attempt.
You need to connect temperature difference to resulting heat flow, as you have, but then connect that heat flow with the resulting change in temperature difference.

In future, please use a title that gives some clue as to the subject matter.

Likes Poetria

1. How do I identify the problem?

The first step in solving any problem is identifying what the problem actually is. This involves gathering information, analyzing data, and determining the root cause of the issue. Once you have a clear understanding of the problem, you can start working towards finding a solution.

2. What methods can I use to solve the problem?

There are various methods that can be used to solve a problem, such as trial and error, brainstorming, root cause analysis, and the scientific method. The best method to use will depend on the nature of the problem and the resources available.

3. How can I ensure that my solution is effective?

To ensure that your solution is effective, it is important to test and evaluate it. This can involve conducting experiments, gathering feedback, and comparing the results to the initial problem. If the solution is not effective, it may be necessary to tweak or revise it.

4. What should I do if I encounter obstacles while solving the problem?

It is common to encounter obstacles while trying to solve a problem, but it is important to remain persistent and think creatively. If one method does not work, try a different approach. Collaborating with others and seeking advice can also help overcome obstacles.

5. How can I prevent similar problems from occurring in the future?

To prevent similar problems from occurring in the future, it is important to analyze the root cause of the problem and implement preventative measures. This can involve making changes to processes, procedures, or systems to avoid similar issues in the future.