How to store electrical energy?

In summary, a wind turbine can be used to generate electricity when directed at the wind. The battery needs to be connected to the generator with a + terminal and the generator needs to have a voltage output. The battery should not be recharged, but a flywheel can be used to store energy.
ryanuser
Hello

I made a little wind turbine so when it is directed at wind it turns and generates electricity as I can see the outcoming voltage on voltmeter. My question is how can I store its energy?
Can I use a rechargable battery and let it run out, then stick copper wires at each sides of it coming from the terminals of the turbine; so that perhaps the battery charges again?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
ryanuser said:
Hello

I made a little wind turbine so when it is directed at wind it turns and generates electricity as I can see the outcoming voltage on voltmeter. My question is how can I store its energy?
Can I use a rechargable battery and let it run out, then stick copper wires at each sides of it coming from the terminals of the turbine; so that perhaps the battery charges again?

Thanks
Yes. The battery needs to be connected with + to the positive generator terminal. You need to make sure the battery is suitable for the generator. I am guessing the generator is a little unit, about 1 inch diameter, so how many volts does the generator give? How much current does it give on the ammeter range (short circuit conditions).

While recharging a battery would be the most practical way - you may also find it interesting to look into hooking up a flywheel - this is a wheel that the fan connects to with a one way ratchet mechanism and possibly some gearing to obtain faster momentum. The fan starts the flywheel spinning while there is wind available - then during periods without wind when the fan slows down (due to air resistance on the blades) the ratchet allows the flywheel to continue uninterrupted thanks to conservation of angular momentum. This rotational energy (minus losses due to air resistance and bearing frictions) is stored until needed and then utilized by drawing off electrical energy through a generator.

You might want to put a diode between the turbine and battery so the battery doesn't spin the turbine when the wind stops.

No. Don't just hook a battery to a wind turbine.

Batteries can be particular about how they are charged. Charging them too fast can cause them to explode. Wind turbines have highly variable power outputs.

That said, batteries are the common choice for small systems. But you will need some sort of charger/controller to do this safely.

How big is your turbine?

First -- charge into a capacitor, or a small bank of them ( is your generator putting out AC or DC ? - If AC you will need to rectify to DC first - that is a basic circuit however). This will filter and store a relatively small amount of energy, however will give you a basis for learning about your generator. From there you now have a more stable DC source, you could look into a DC to DC battery charging circuit to do the bulk storage.

In addition to the amount of energy stored, the other critical parameter is for how long you need to stor it. Capacitors, flywheels, batteries: each has advantages for differnt time periods.

If you want to store several kWh for half a day, then lead acid deep discharge batteries may be best.

If you are running LED lights from a wind generator, and you want to reduce illumination variations every time the wind gusts, then capacitors may be best.

In all cases, as Jeff said, you will need a charge controller.

What is electrical energy storage?

Electrical energy storage is the process of converting electrical energy into a form that can be stored and then retrieved for later use. This allows for more efficient use of electricity and helps to balance the supply and demand of energy.

Why is electrical energy storage important?

Electrical energy storage is important because it allows for greater flexibility and reliability in the use of electricity. It also helps to integrate renewable energy sources into the grid and provides backup power during times of high demand or outages.

What are the different methods of storing electrical energy?

There are several methods of storing electrical energy including batteries, pumped hydro storage, compressed air energy storage, thermal energy storage, and flywheel energy storage. Each method has its own advantages and disadvantages.

What are the main challenges of storing electrical energy?

One of the main challenges of storing electrical energy is finding cost-effective and efficient ways to store large amounts of energy. Another challenge is developing storage technologies that can handle the high demand and rapid charging and discharging of electricity.

How can we improve the storage of electrical energy?

Scientists are continuously researching and developing new technologies for storing electrical energy. Some potential improvements include increasing the energy density of batteries, creating more efficient and durable storage systems, and finding ways to recycle and reuse materials in energy storage devices.