How to study when you feel down?

• Thread starter elephanttalk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary, the conversation discusses a university student's struggle with depression, OCD, and low self-esteem while trying to study. Suggestions are made to seek help from a professional and to set achievable goals to improve self-esteem. The idea of studying for the sake of learning rather than focusing on grades is also mentioned. The conversation also touches on the topic of medication and the possibility of joining a study group for support. One participant shares their admiration for the unconventional problem-solving approaches of physicist Richard Feynman.
elephanttalk
Hi guys, long time lurker of physics forum here. Some time ago I read a thread about how to study when you have depression, or something along those lines, so I figured I should ask for similar advice.

I'm a university student in summer school. I also have OCD and an incredibly low self esteem/self worth. Whenever I open my books, I think to myself, "I'm always going to be an idiot, so why try?" And when I do focus long enough, nothing seems to work. I tried going soft on myself, I tried going rough, I tried taking more OCD meds than I should've, but nothing works.

I'd just like some advice on how to actually produce results, that's all. I have a lot of reading to do. Should I just skim it, and when I'm feeling better, go into detail?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First, I think you should talk to someone with training in handling psychiatric matters. It sounds like you are taking medication, which means that you are at least in some contact with someone who can facilitate that sort of help. You should start there.

That being said, I think self-esteem can be raised by setting goals and accomplishing them. Start small. Tell yourself that your goal is to read a couple sections in a chapter in the next few hours. Then do it! Once you have accomplished this goal, I think you will feel at least a little better, so set a new one. Slowly increase the time scales and ambitiousness of your goals.

Also, it's worth partaking in outcome independent studying and reading. Focusing on goals such as improved scores on tests and attaining requisite knowledge to handle new material is a valid reason to study. But it can be useful to engage in reading or studying or working problems just because it's fun. If you indeed find it fun, you will find it easier to do. Once you start doing it more, you will likely achieve better outcomes. But you have to separate the result from the action. Study to study. Read to read.

Best of luck,

This may be helpful:
"How to Get the Most Out of Studying"
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL85708E6EA236E3DB

On occasion, this is helpful to me when I need some encouragement:
"Richard Feynman - The Pleasure Of Finding Things Out"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the suggestions Feynman. And thanks for the books robphy. I think Feynman was a great human being!

Unfortunately, it's too late; although I got over being down, my OCD kinda took over, and I spent hours fixating on this one thing. I'm not going to mention what it is, but I'm out of time. I have a problem set due tomorrow, and I haven't even started.

Should I just not do it? Like, even if I do accomplish something, I'll still get minimal marks.

elephanttalk said:
Thanks for the suggestions Feynman. And thanks for the books robphy. I think Feynman was a great human being!

Unfortunately, it's too late; although I got over being down, my OCD kinda took over, and I spent hours fixating on this one thing. I'm not going to mention what it is, but I'm out of time. I have a problem set due tomorrow, and I haven't even started.

Should I just not do it? Like, even if I do accomplish something, I'll still get minimal marks.

Of course you should still do it! It's better to try than to give up. And it's better to do it and learn for your own good than not do it and miss out just because you'll get minimal marks. Outcome independence.

And for the record, I think R. P. Feynman was kind of a jerk. I admire his curiosity and unconventional approaches to problem solving, however.

elephanttalk said:

It seems like your OCD pills aren't working well enough. Definitely see a psychiatrist for this. They can adjust your dose.

Second, why not join a study group? Things are always more fun when you're working in groups, and it's more efficient as well.

ZombieFeynman said:
Of course you should still do it! It's better to try than to give up. And it's better to do it and learn for your own good than not do it and miss out just because you'll get minimal marks. Outcome independence.

And for the record, I think R. P. Feynman was kind of a jerk. I admire his curiosity and unconventional approaches to problem solving, however.

Yeah, I guess. Even though my OCD got the best of me, I still tried, and I learned some cool stuff from trying. :)

micromass said:
It seems like your OCD pills aren't working well enough. Definitely see a psychiatrist for this. They can adjust your dose.

Second, why not join a study group? Things are always more fun when you're working in groups, and it's more efficient as well.

Right now I'm at the max dosage, I think, for my meds; my psychiatrist won't increase it. And I think I'd like to try new meds, but I don't think that's going to happen.

Study groups are okay. But I haven't exactly taken the time to get to know anyone in my course lol. I guess I should do that.

elephanttalk said:
Y
Every time I tell my psychiatrist that my meds aren't working, he simply increases the dosage. Right now, I think I'm at the maximum dosage. And it's still not working.

Try a different psychiatrist?

Study groups are okay. But I haven't exactly taken the time to get to know anyone in my course lol. I guess I should do that.

Do you have emails of people in your group? You can just send a mass email and ask if people are interested in joining you. It's also a great way of getting to know people.

Related to How to study when you feel down?

1. How can I motivate myself to study when I'm feeling down?

One way to motivate yourself to study when you're feeling down is to set small, achievable goals for each study session. This will give you a sense of accomplishment and help you stay focused. Additionally, try to find a study environment that is conducive to your learning and make sure to take breaks and reward yourself for your hard work.

2. What are some effective study techniques for when I'm feeling down?

Some effective study techniques for when you're feeling down include breaking up your study material into smaller chunks, using visual aids or flashcards, and trying out different methods such as active recall or explaining the material to someone else. It's also important to take care of your physical and mental health, as they can greatly impact your ability to study effectively.

3. How can I stay focused and avoid distractions when studying while feeling down?

To stay focused and avoid distractions while studying when you're feeling down, try to eliminate any potential distractions such as turning off your phone or finding a quiet study space. You can also try setting a timer for a specific amount of time and committing to studying without any interruptions during that time. It can also help to have a study partner or accountability buddy to keep you on track.

4. Is it okay to take a break from studying when I'm feeling down?

Yes, it's important to take breaks when you're feeling down and not force yourself to study if you're not in the right mindset. Taking a short break to do something you enjoy can help improve your mood and overall well-being, making it easier to focus and study effectively afterwards. Just make sure to set a timer and limit your break time so you don't lose momentum.

5. How can I incorporate self-care into my study routine when I'm feeling down?

Incorporating self-care into your study routine when you're feeling down is crucial for your overall well-being and academic success. Some ways to do this include taking breaks to practice mindfulness or relaxation techniques, incorporating physical activity into your study breaks, and making sure to get enough sleep and eat nutritious meals. It's also important to seek support from friends, family, or a mental health professional if needed.