How to tell the difference between randomness and chaos?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between chaos and randomness and whether they are the same thing. The uncertainty principle and quantum mechanics are mentioned as factors that make it difficult to determine if the world is truly random. The concept of randomness is also compared to the idea of a determined world. The conversation ends with the conclusion that there is no way to prove if the world is truly random or determined.
Xiaomin Chu
Found this question while think of determine&random. If a system if very complex, it may looks like random. Even GUT is found, it is still impossible to tell what a determined system will be after a long period because of Heisenberg's uncertainty principle. An error in initial conditions, even it's smaller than any number which can be imagined, will be zoom out to be seen very soon in a chaotic system.
Then what is the difference between chaos and randomness? Or, are they exactly the same thing since uncertainty principle kills any experiment to tell the difference?

Physics news on Phys.org
Xiaomin Chu said:
Found this question while think of determine&random. If a system if very complex, it may looks like random. Even GUT is found, it is still impossible to tell what a determined system will be after a long period because of Heisenberg's uncertainty principle. An error in initial conditions, even it's smaller than any number which can be imagined, will be zoom out to be seen very soon in a chaotic system.
Then what is the difference between chaos and randomness? Or, are they exactly the same thing since uncertainty principle kills any experiment to tell the difference?

http://www.math.tamu.edu/~mpilant/math614/chaos_vs_random.pdf

which is just the first hit I got when I asked your question of google. It IS, after all, exactly the kind of question that Google generally will give you decent answers on.

phinds said:
http://www.math.tamu.edu/~mpilant/math614/chaos_vs_random.pdf

which is just the first hit I got when I asked your question of google. It IS, after all, exactly the kind of question that Google generally will give you decent answers on.
This is not the case! I'm sorry if I didn't make myself understood clearly enough. This file provides the difference between the two mathematical structures, which is useless. My question is, if one says the world is completely determined, which kind of experiment can I do to make him believe real world is random.

As unforeseeable as much in the real world may seem, it isn't random. It is difficult to find events which are truly random; for a start, how to prove (i.e., demonstrate to 100% certainty) that something has a truly random outcome? For most apparently-unpredictable events we end up saying, well, as far as we are concerned we'll regard it for our purposes as essentially random. But that doesn't mean it is.

I'm sure cow pat lotto just looks random. :oldwink:

Any experiment needs initial conditions, but uncertainty principle forbids giving the same initial conditions to two systems. So it is never possible to check weather a system is chaotic or random. By Occam's Razor principle(let me just call it a principle), it's better to say there aren't two separated concerpt named random and chaos but a single one.
But a determined theory will allow me to do the following experiment:
I can take a determined process, which is as complex as possible. With supercomputers, I can compute how the system will be after a while with every initial condition. In the process, very small difference will be zoomed out that I can see them. By this method, I can measure position and momentum simultaneously as exactly as I want, because the error I will make will be compressed to be any finite small number by the inverse process(not necessary able to do physically, but I can compute), exponentially.
Is determined theory itself against the uncertainty principle?

I believe randomness is the measure of chaos.

Don't forget that quantum mechanics is as the base of all physics. The randomness in quantum physics is not chaos based.

anorlunda said:
Don't forget that quantum mechanics is as the base of all physics. The randomness in quantum physics is not chaos based.
Remember that quantum mechanics is much earlier than the chaos theory. At that age, no one of the world knows about chaos. They might think randomness exist everywhere like dice game. I may predict what will the result be for a dice game if I know enough information. They didn't do any experiments to show the randomness, but just guessing. We may or may not believe real world is random, there's no proof,

Xiaomin Chu said:
My question is, if one says the world is completely determined, which kind of experiment can I do to make him believe real world is random.

No experiment can settle that question, so this discussion doesn't belong here. Thread closed.

1. What is the difference between randomness and chaos?

The main difference between randomness and chaos is that randomness is a lack of pattern or predictability while chaos is a highly complex and unpredictable state that arises from deterministic systems.

2. How can we distinguish between randomness and chaos?

One way to distinguish between randomness and chaos is by looking at the underlying system or process. Randomness tends to arise from stochastic or probabilistic processes, while chaos arises from deterministic processes.

3. Can we measure or quantify randomness and chaos?

Yes, there are various measures and metrics that can be used to quantify randomness and chaos, such as entropy, Lyapunov exponents, and Kolmogorov complexity. These measures can help us differentiate between the two concepts.

4. Is there a way to control or predict randomness and chaos?

It is generally easier to control randomness than chaos. Randomness can be controlled by manipulating the underlying probability distribution, while chaos is highly sensitive to initial conditions and can be difficult to predict or control.

5. How do randomness and chaos impact our daily lives?

Randomness and chaos are fundamental concepts in various fields, including mathematics, physics, and biology. In our daily lives, they can manifest in unpredictable events, such as weather patterns or stock market fluctuations. Understanding and managing these phenomena can help us make better decisions and improve our lives.