How to Toggle PLC Outputs with a Single Button Using an Internal Bit?

• Thread starter Jonfields920
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic Plc
In summary, the key to solving this problem is using an internal bit as a status indicator and using XIC instructions to control the outputs. PB00 should be used to set the internal bit and control LT08 and LT00, while PB08 should be used to reset the internal bit and turn off both outputs. Additionally, a hint is given to use another light or internal bit as a status indicator.
Jonfields920
I'm 4 days into an Introduction to PLC's class and have been doing well, but have now been stumped. I've attached a .jpg to show where i am on this problem.

Use only XIC,XIO,OTE and branching circuits
Pressing N.O. PB00 once should latch on output LT08; pressing PB00 a second time should latch on output LT00. pressing N.C. PB08 should unlatch both outputs. Hint: another light(such as LT07) or an internal bit should be used as a status indicator.

I believe my basic setup is right. I know it must be very simple, but I am missing something important. If you could even just point me in the right direction, id appreciate it. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• LadderRungs.jpg
    LadderRungs.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 371
Physics news on Phys.org
!The key in this problem is using an internal bit as a status indicator. This is done by using a XIC instruction to set the bit when PB00 is pressed, then using that bit to determine what the next instruction should be.To start, you should have a XIC instruction connected to PB00 that sets the internal bit. You should then have an OTE instruction connected to the internal bit that controls LT08. When the internal bit is set, LT08 should be on. Next, you should have another XIC instruction connected to PB00 that is controlled by the same internal bit. This time, the XIC should control LT00. When the internal bit is set, LT00 should be on. Finally, you should have a XIC instruction connected to PB08 that resets the internal bit. This will reset both LT08 and LT00. Hope this helps!

Related to How to Toggle PLC Outputs with a Single Button Using an Internal Bit?

1. What is a PLC?

A PLC, or Programmable Logic Controller, is a digital computer used to automate industrial processes. It is commonly used to control machinery and equipment in factories and other manufacturing settings.

2. What is basic PLC logic?

Basic PLC logic refers to the fundamental principles and techniques used to program a PLC. This includes understanding the different types of inputs and outputs, creating ladder logic diagrams, and implementing logic functions such as timers and counters.

3. How do I approach a basic PLC logic problem?

The first step is to identify the inputs and outputs for the system. Then, create a ladder logic diagram that represents the desired logic for those inputs and outputs. Test the diagram and make any necessary adjustments until the desired outcome is achieved.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a basic PLC logic problem?

Some common mistakes include incorrect wiring or incorrect placement of inputs and outputs, not considering all possible scenarios, and not thoroughly testing the logic before implementation. It is important to carefully plan and test your logic to avoid these mistakes.

5. Are there any resources available to help me learn basic PLC logic?

Yes, there are many resources available such as online tutorials, books, and courses. It is also helpful to practice with real-world PLCs and to seek guidance from experienced PLC programmers. Remember that practice and hands-on experience are key in mastering PLC logic.

Back