How to Travel Faster than Light: Exploring Physics Confusion

• Thread starter kairama15
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of time dilation and length contraction in relation to a person observing a spaceship launch from Earth and another person on the spaceship. The person on Earth will see the spaceship travel at 0.95% the speed of light and take 4.2 years to reach alpha centauri, while the person on the spaceship will experience time differently and only take 1.24 years to reach alpha centauri. The person on the spaceship will not see nearby objects fly by at 3.2 times the speed of light, but instead at 0.95% the speed of light. This is due to time dilation and length contraction, which may cause confusion when calculating distances and speeds.
kairama15
Consider this, and tell me where my thinking goes wrong. I'm confused.

There is a person observing a spaceship launch from earth, and another person on the spaceship. There are space rocks and asteroids stationary with respect to the Earth for the spaceship to observe as it flies.
The person on Earth watches as the spaceship quickly accelerates to 0.95% the speed of light.
The person on Earth watches the spaceship go to alpha centauri which we'll say is 4 lightyears away.
So it takes 4 lightyears / 0.95 = 4.2 years for him to see the spaceship get there.

However, on the spaceship going that fraction of the speed of light, time goes slower and it only takes him 1.24 years in his reference frame to get there. So, does that mean he'll feel like he's going 4 lightyears/1.24 years = 3.2 times the speed of light? For example, will he see adjacent objects like asteroids and space rocks fly by him at 3.2 times the speed of light? He knows that alpha centauri is 4 light years away but he'll get there in 1.24 years. Surely I'd be confused if I calculated I went faster than the speed of light... Where is my thought process going wrong? Or is this what would actually happen to someone traveling that quickly?

Physics news on Phys.org
kairama15 said:
will he see adjacent objects like asteroids and space rocks fly by him at 3.2 times the speed of light?

No. He will see them fly by at 0.95 percent of the speed of light.

kairama15 said:
He knows that alpha centauri is 4 light years away but he'll get there in 1.24 years.

He will get there in 1.24 years by his clock, because he will see the distance between him and alpha centauri length contracted to a little less than 1.24 light years.

Length contraction!

(Ugh, Peter beat me)

I see. thank you

What is the theory behind traveling faster than light?

The theory behind traveling faster than light is based on the concept of wormholes and bending space-time. This theory suggests that by creating a shortcut through space-time, we can travel vast distances in a shorter amount of time.

Is it possible to travel faster than light?

Based on our current understanding of physics, it is not possible to travel faster than light. The speed of light, which is approximately 186,282 miles per second, is considered to be the universal speed limit.

What are the potential consequences of traveling faster than light?

If traveling faster than light were possible, it could potentially violate the principles of causality, meaning events could occur before their causes. This could lead to paradoxes and disrupt the natural flow of time.

Are there any proposed methods for traveling faster than light?

There are various theoretical methods proposed for traveling faster than light, such as the Alcubierre warp drive and the use of exotic matter. However, these methods are still highly speculative and have not been proven to be feasible.

What are the current research efforts in this field?

Scientists are continuously researching and studying the concept of faster-than-light travel, as it has implications for our understanding of space and time. Some research focuses on finding loopholes in the laws of physics, while others explore alternative theories that could potentially allow for faster-than-light travel.