How to Use Euler's Method to Approximate Velocity in a Quarter Circle Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses an assigned project in Physics involving numerical modeling and the use of Euler's method to approximate the velocity of a mass sliding down a frictionless quarter circle with a radius of 2.00 m. The assignment requires three trials with different time intervals and comparing the predicted speed to the accepted value. The formula for acceleration at the first time is given as Ef(T0)/m, and the problem also states that the mass starts from rest and suggests defining the position and acceleration in terms of the angle. The speaker has figured out the solution and offers to share it for further clarification.
joman138
I have an assigned project in Physics with numerical modeling, to which I am supposed to use Euler's method to approximate the velocity of a "mass sliding down a frictionless in the shape of a quarter circle of radius 2.00 m."

The assignment also states: "Do three trials: t = 0.2s, t = 0.02s, and t =
0.002 s. Compare the predicted speed at the bottom for each case to the accepted value
of 6.261 m/s."

I know how to use Euler's method to approximate the velocity as time changes, but I am not sure how to find the position, velocity, and acceleration at the first time. Also, I was given a formula for the acceleration at the first time, Ef(T0)/m or the sum of the forces of t0 divided by the mass, but I am not sure how to use this formula.

The problem also states: "Assume it starts from rest" and "Hint: Define the position and acceleration of the mass in terms of the angle."

Thanks in advance for anyone's help. I can also post the actual assignment as a .pdf or word file if further clarification is necessary.

Physics news on Phys.org
I figured out the entire solution to this crazy problem. I'll post it to let you guys look at it tomorrow.

Related to How to Use Euler's Method to Approximate Velocity in a Quarter Circle Motion

1. What is a Numerical Modelling Project?

A Numerical Modelling Project is a scientific study that uses mathematical algorithms and computational methods to simulate real-world scenarios and predict their outcomes. It involves creating a computer-based model that represents a complex system and using it to analyze and understand the behavior of that system.

2. What are the benefits of using numerical modelling in scientific research?

Numerical modelling allows scientists to test hypotheses and explore various scenarios without the time and cost constraints of real-world experiments. It also provides a more detailed understanding of complex systems and can help in making predictions and decisions for future events.

3. What types of problems can be solved using numerical modelling?

Numerical modelling can be used to solve a wide range of scientific problems, including weather forecasting, climate change prediction, fluid dynamics, structural analysis, and many more. It is particularly useful for systems that involve multiple variables and complex interactions.

4. How is numerical modelling different from analytical modelling?

Analytical modelling involves using mathematical equations to find an exact solution to a problem, while numerical modelling uses computational methods to approximate a solution. Numerical modelling is often used when analytical solutions are not feasible or when dealing with complex systems that cannot be easily represented by equations.

5. What are some limitations of numerical modelling?

Numerical modelling relies on assumptions and simplifications, which may affect the accuracy of the results. It also requires a significant amount of computing power and can be time-consuming and expensive to set up. Additionally, the validity of the model depends on the quality of the data and parameters used, which may be limited or uncertain in some cases.