How to use Kleppner and Kolenkow and how to employ problem solving?

In summary: The second time was in the junior level classical mechanics course. That course was a bit unusual because the first half was a standard course in Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics, but the second half was a special topics course in celestial mechanics. I don't know if any of the faculty besides the prof who taught it had much interest in the subject. I think I was the only student in the class of 6 who took it because I was interested in it. IIRC, there wasn't even a textbook for the second half. I just borrowed books from the library. So, I don't know if that counts as a third time.When I was an undergrad, it was two times. Both Taylor and K&K were required
warhammer
I am an undergrad in Physics and got acquainted with the aforementioned book.

I want to know how the other PF Members have used the book as such, and do they have some advice for me on the same.

I am also inclined to know how does one solve the problems of K&K whose concept may be straightforward & understandable yet the problem solving method to "attack" the question doesn't click. For instance, extensive usage of constraint equations gets a bit tricky even if one understands the underlying concept behind the problem. This is just an instance, and I dearly wish to know the PoVs of fellow members!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would make sure that analytical geometry and results pertaining to similar triangles, congruent triangles, congruent angles are understood.

Trig: law of sines, cosines, and other topics found in a standard trigonometry class.

Single variable, and multi-Variable calculus.

If a problem is too hard, try rereading the relevant section(s). Also, maybe adding your own constraints to make the problem easier, then generalizing it as you go, in order to solve the given problem.

It doesn't hurt to work out problems from a standard physics book without looking up the solution. I found KK a bit difficult, but manageable. Looking up solutions will come to haunt you later down the road, so get into the habit of not doing that.

Likes yucheng and warhammer
warhammer said:
I want to know how the other PF Members have used the book as such, and do they have some advice for me on the same.
KK was the assigned text in my classical mechanics class many years ago. So the prof lectured from it and assigned problem sets. Are you using it on your own, outside of class? I think that would be very difficult unless you are a determined and disciplined student. I sure was not.

@MidgetDwarf offers good advice.

Likes warhammer
gmax137 said:
KK was the assigned text in my classical mechanics class many years ago. So the prof lectured from it and assigned problem sets. Are you using it on your own, outside of class? I think that would be very difficult unless you are a determined and disciplined student. I sure was not.

@MidgetDwarf offers good advice.

Thank you for your response. Actually KK is the standard textbook being used and prescribed by our Prof. However there is a lot of learning crunch due to online only method as well as time constraint due to a truncated semester as a result of Covid lockdowns etc. So things are a bit rushed and Prof. is a bit overwhelmed.

Likes PeroK
Just spend a lot (a lot) of time thinking about the problems (and try doing them, even if you get stuck multiple times by multiple approaches). Don't worry, K&K is (very) hard even for seniors in physics. Later, when you learn the methods of analytic mechanics like the Lagrangian formalism, you will find that they make many K&K problems easy. But till then they are hard for almost everyone.

I'm very glad I don't have to do K&K problems anymore. 😅

• Wow
Likes yucheng and warhammer
atyy said:
Just spend a lot (a lot) of time thinking about the problems (and try doing them, even if you get stuck multiple times by multiple approaches). Don't worry, K&K is (very) hard even for seniors in physics. Later, when you learn the methods of analytic mechanics like the Lagrangian formalism, you will find that they make many K&K problems easy. But till then they are hard for almost everyone.

I'm very glad I don't have to do K&K problems anymore. 😅
Sorry for such a late response sir. Thank you so much for your guidance. I have gauged a very strange thing. Working through K&K in conjunction with a book like Classical Mechanics by John Taylor (considered to be a level higher than K&K) has been quite helpful! As directed however, I will continue to keep attacking the problems and resist the urge to look at the solutions!

Likes atyy
warhammer said:
Sorry for such a late response sir. Thank you so much for your guidance. I have gauged a very strange thing. Working through K&K in conjunction with a book like Classical Mechanics by John Taylor (considered to be a level higher than K&K) has been quite helpful! As directed however, I will continue to keep attacking the problems and resist the urge to look at the solutions!

When I was an undergrad, I often did this. Peeking at the next level text (even if I didn't really understand it at that level) helped me see the bigger picture and appreciate what would become more important later. Of course, I still had to understand the current-level text.

• Haha
Likes yucheng, warhammer, vanhees71 and 1 other person
Can you, perhaps, write two lines why Taylor's Classical Mechanics text is "next level" compared to Kleppner & Kolenkov?

Taylor covers Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics. It is suitable for upper-division undergrads. K&K is, or at least was, used for MIT's freshman physics class.

Likes warhammer
The problems from Taylor were a bit easier than K&K in my experience. Mind you I had a teacher for Taylor and not for K&K.

Vanadium 50 said:
Taylor covers Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics. It is suitable for upper-division undergrads. K&K is, or at least was, used for MIT's freshman physics class.

Oh, so this is the American way, how many times does go through classical mechanics until graduation as a Bachelor of Physics? Two or three times?

Well, in Germany we have mechanics in the 1st semester in both the experimental and the theoretical physics course lecture ("naive Newtonian mechanics") and in the 2nd semester in theoretical physics ("analytical mechanics", i.e., action principle and all that).

Likes warhammer and weirdoguy
dextercioby said:
Can you, perhaps, write two lines why Taylor's Classical Mechanics text is "next level" compared to Kleppner & Kolenkov?
Taylor is more sophisticated mathematically. The second chapter, for example, deals with linear and quadratic air resistance.

Likes warhammer
dextercioby said:
Oh, so this is the American way, how many times does go through classical mechanics until graduation as a Bachelor of Physics? Two or three times?
When I was in college, it was twice. The first time was in the intro physics course. This was the sequence physics majors and engineering majors took. For some students, it's the first time they've taken a physics course. Then in the junior year, physics majors would take a course in classical mechanics, which covers the same basic concepts as in intro physics but in a more mathematically sophisticated way and also covers Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics.

Likes warhammer

1. How do I approach problem solving using Kleppner and Kolenkow?

Kleppner and Kolenkow is a physics textbook that focuses on developing problem-solving skills. To effectively use this book, it is important to first understand the concepts and principles presented in each chapter. Then, practice solving the problems at the end of each chapter, paying attention to the strategies and techniques used. It is also helpful to work through the examples provided in the text and to seek clarification from a teacher or tutor if needed.

2. Are there any specific problem-solving techniques recommended in Kleppner and Kolenkow?

Yes, Kleppner and Kolenkow presents a variety of problem-solving techniques, such as breaking down a problem into smaller parts, using diagrams and visualizations, and using mathematical equations and formulas. It is important to practice and become comfortable with these techniques in order to effectively solve physics problems.

3. How can I use Kleppner and Kolenkow to improve my understanding of physics concepts?

Kleppner and Kolenkow not only presents problems for students to solve, but also provides thorough explanations and discussions of the underlying physics concepts. Take the time to read and understand these explanations, and use them to reinforce your understanding of the material.

4. Can I use Kleppner and Kolenkow as a self-study resource?

Yes, Kleppner and Kolenkow can be a valuable resource for self-study. However, it is important to have a strong foundation in physics concepts before attempting to use this book for self-study. It is also recommended to seek guidance from a teacher or tutor if you encounter difficulties or have questions.

5. How can I make the most out of using Kleppner and Kolenkow?

To make the most out of using Kleppner and Kolenkow, it is important to actively engage with the material. This means reading and understanding the concepts, practicing problem-solving techniques, and seeking help when needed. It is also beneficial to work with a study group or partner to discuss and solve problems together.