Balancing Learning Theory & Problem Solving: A Student's Guide

In summary, this expert believes that spending more time on learning theory rather than solving problems is better for students. He provides three reasons: first, that students should be able to understand concepts in theory; second, that if they can solve problems, they are more prepared for when they encounter theory in physics; and third, that problems help reinforce knowledge.
bigmike94
From experience how would you balance time on learning theory and problem solving?

Maybe learn the theory enough that if you got stuck on a difficult problem you would be able to understand the solution without scratching your head too much?

Im using University physics by young and freedman so obviously it’s very fast paced as it’s an intro book. so I’m not entirely convinced that if I just read the chapter and use no other outside learning source I’ll be able to remember how to apply the physics.

So instead I’ve sacrificed problem solving time with more theory. For example I only did around 15 problems on the conservative of energy chapter. Compared to over 80 problems on Newtons laws section.

But I know how much people stress that problem solving is by far the best way. (Given that you can check and compare your answers to learn from mistakes)

Im open to any suggestionsAlso a side question. In a standard university how long would the students spend on the intro mechanics chapters? Is it one semester?

Physics news on Phys.org
Most people learn the 'theory' by practicing the 'problems.'

IMO you can stop doing the problems when you are sure you could do the next one.

Likes bigmike94 and Vanadium 50
I know I'm not on the majority side here, but I wanted to say that spending more time on learning the theory vs doing problems was better for me. Here are 3 posts I wrote onPF describing my studying method:

Here is a post where I gathered all the insights articles about self-studying. It's mainly math, but also a link to "How to become a physicist!" (22 parts).
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/self-teaching-gcse-and-a-level-maths.933639/#post-5896947

I think most of them are worth reading, especially the interview at the end (last link).

In any case, you should frequently come over here to PF and check your results (problem-solving) and understanding (theory) in order to make sure that you are on track.

bigmike94 said:
From experience how would you balance time on learning theory and problem solving?
NOT Try to balance those. Spend as much time on each so that you learn. Trying to find the balance or ratio of those two is the wrong manner of thinking.

I have not read the rest of post #1, and have not read any of the response posts.

Likes jack action and fresh_42
jack action said:
I know I'm not on the majority side here, but I wanted to say that spending more time on learning the theory vs doing problems was better for me. Here are 3 posts I wrote onPF describing my studying method:
It’s strange because i think most students in university would read a chapter and have one lecture on a topic then they’ll solve a bunch of problems. Yet you hear a lot of students saying they don’t feel like they’re gaining a deep understanding of the topic and before they know it they’ve moved onto learning something knew.

So maybe they just become good problem solvers and know what to plug in where Without having a deep understanding. I’m not sure though. Everyone has their own way, like for me I rarely even pick up my maths textbook, I find them difficult to follow. I learn maths from online resources and solve problems by pausing the video and attempting it.

I just think as long as I understand a concept in my maths textbook and can solve a few problems I am happy as I’ll get a tonne of practise when it’s needed in physics.

It takes me back a couple of years ago, when I was trying to memorise SOH CAH TOA (sin cos tan) along with a bunch of other things. It was all unnecessary stress, because the most important concepts always repeat themselves. I couldn’t forget those trig rules if I tried. So although I actually enjoyed the chapter on lines and planes in 3d I am not going to spend days doing 50+ problems on it If it’s that important I am pretty sure it will pop back up.

Maybe I’m just trying to justify to myself to not solve many maths problems 🤣

Students often say "I understand the material - I just can't work the problems." Usually this means "I don't really understand the material, I just think I do."

Likes gleem
Vanadium 50 said:
Students often say "I understand the material - I just can't work the problems." Usually this means "I don't really understand the material, I just think I do."
This is true. There’s been so many problems I’ve got to and thought to myself “wow if I didn’t watch that extra video of worked problems I’m not sure I would have understood how to approach this”

Theory with a lot of worked examples is probably the best way. And then give the problems a go yourself.

1. What is the importance of balancing learning theory and problem solving?

Balancing learning theory and problem solving is crucial for students because it allows them to not only understand the concepts and theories behind a subject, but also apply them in real-world situations. This balance helps students develop critical thinking skills and prepares them for future challenges.

2. How can students effectively balance learning theory and problem solving?

One way students can effectively balance learning theory and problem solving is by actively engaging in both aspects. This can include participating in class discussions, completing practice problems, and seeking out real-world applications of the theories they are learning.

3. What are the benefits of incorporating problem solving into learning theory?

Incorporating problem solving into learning theory allows students to develop a deeper understanding of the subject matter. It also helps students see the practical applications of the theories they are learning, making the material more relevant and memorable.

4. How can teachers help students achieve a balance between learning theory and problem solving?

Teachers can help students achieve a balance between learning theory and problem solving by providing a variety of learning opportunities, such as lectures, group discussions, and hands-on activities. They can also encourage students to think critically and apply their knowledge to solve problems.

5. Are there any potential challenges in balancing learning theory and problem solving?

One potential challenge in balancing learning theory and problem solving is finding the right balance between the two. Too much focus on theory can make the material seem abstract and disconnected from real-world applications, while too much emphasis on problem solving may neglect important foundational concepts. It is important for teachers and students to communicate and work together to find the right balance.