How to use magnets to float an object (Diagram)

In summary: Have you considered an air bearing? This is the method by which an air hockey puck slides with almost no friction across its table on a thin film of pressurized air.I combined sound waves and air bearing in a new way called “orthosonic lift”. Here an exciter, oscillates air above a flat wing to suspend it on a thin film of depressurized air. You can download a free “function generator” app. and run the output through a small amp (or through a channel of your home-theater amplifier) to power the exciter. The wing is cut from a file folder (6 inch disk) and any smooth, flat surface can serve as a flight deck.
gammzy98
Hey everyone, I have been doing some research in regards to floating an object, and possibly have it rotate. I am thinking magnetism is the way to accomplish this, but if anyone else knows another method I would love to hear it. I created a simple diagram on what I am trying to accomplish:

diagram.png

Not sure if it has to be completely enclosed, or it can be partially open. The direction I am leading in that might make this possible is putting a neodymium rod inside the object, then have neodymium discs on opposite sides with opposing poles to suspend the object. Or, some use of electromagnets?

If anyone can help me out more or point me in the right direction on how to do this, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
gammzy98 said:
Hey everyone, I have been doing some research in regards to floating an object, and possibly have it rotate. I am thinking magnetism is the way to accomplish this, but if anyone else knows another method I would love to hear it. I created a simple diagram on what I am trying to accomplish:

View attachment 204615

Not sure if it has to be completely enclosed, or it can be partially open. The direction I am leading in that might make this possible is putting a neodymium rod inside the object, then have neodymium discs on opposite sides with opposing poles to suspend the object. Or, some use of electromagnets?

If anyone can help me out more or point me in the right direction on how to do this, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!
Welcome to the PF.

From the list of "Similar Discussions" at the bottom of the page, this old thread may be of help.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/using-magnets-to-suspend-objects.527806/

For permanent magnet levitation, you may need some mechanical constraints "holding" the object to keep it from flipping or sticking to the sides of your enclosure.

Are you familiar with AC eddy current levitation?

Likes gammzy98
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

From the list of "Similar Discussions" at the bottom of the page, this old thread may be of help.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/using-magnets-to-suspend-objects.527806/

For permanent magnet levitation, you may need some mechanical constraints "holding" the object to keep it from flipping or sticking to the sides of your enclosure.

Are you familiar with AC eddy current levitation?

Thanks for the reply! I will check that thread out. I am not that familiar with AC eddy current levitation specifically. From what I know as a basic understanding, it is using a current on coils that can push an object to "defy gravity". If you have anymore info on this that you think would be helpful for this specific project I am working on, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

Also, if you do a Google Images search on Magnetic Levitation, that should give you lots of ideas... :smile:

There is also acoustic levitation, which uses sound waves to levitate small objects at the nodes of standing waves.

Have you considered an air bearing? This is the method by which an air hockey puck slides with almost no friction across its table on a thin film of pressurized air.

I combined sound waves and air bearing in a new way called “orthosonic lift”. Here an exciter, oscillates air above a flat wing to suspend it on a thin film of depressurized air. You can download a free “function generator” app. and run the output through a small amp (or through a channel of your home-theater amplifier) to power the exciter. The wing is cut from a file folder (6 inch disk) and any smooth, flat surface can serve as a flight deck. (I used glass from a photo frame but even a book propped across two others will do.)

Happy experimenting!

1. How does a magnet float an object?

Magnets have two poles: north and south. When two magnets are placed close to each other, their opposite poles attract each other while their like poles repel. This repulsion force can be used to counteract the gravitational force and make an object float above the magnet.

2. What type of magnets are needed to float an object?

The type of magnet needed depends on the weight and size of the object you want to float. Generally, strong neodymium magnets or rare earth magnets are used as they have a high magnetic field strength and can support heavier objects.

3. How do you arrange the magnets to float an object?

To float an object, you need two magnets with opposite poles facing each other. The object should be placed in between the two magnets, and their magnetic fields should be aligned. The repelling force between the magnets will keep the object afloat.

4. Can any object be floated using magnets?

No, not all objects can be floated using magnets. Objects made of non-magnetic materials like wood, plastic, or paper cannot be floated. Only objects made of magnetic materials such as iron, nickel, or cobalt can be floated using magnets.

5. Is it safe to use magnets to float an object?

Yes, it is generally safe to use magnets to float an object. However, caution should be taken when handling strong magnets as they can cause injury if they snap together or attract metal objects. Also, keep in mind that magnets can lose their strength over time, so regular checks and replacements may be needed.