How to use Thevenin to find R and I?

In summary: RT=Rab=R3+R4=10Ω Uab=-IAR4+E1-IAR3+IR3 = -(-2)*5+30-(-2)*5+10 = 60 V...you would solve for ##I## as before, but now include the voltage divider equation for R:I=\frac{V_{th}}{R_{th} + R_L}...and solve for ##U_{ab}## as before.
stipan_relix

Homework Statement

In the circuit shown, in the image, the variable resistor R is consuming maximum power. Determine:
a) resistance for R
b) power for R
c) current for R3 and its direction
uMHqpqA.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried getting IA(the direction is shown with arrows in the picture under) like this: E1-IAR3+IR3-IAR4=0
-5IA-5IA=30-10
IA=-2 A
but I have a feeling that's not good ^
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
wsuU2b9.png

I calculated RT using Thevenin: RT=Rab=R3+R4=10Ω
Then I got from the main scheme:
Uab=-IAR4+E1-IAR3+IR3 = -(-2)*5+30-(-2)*5+10 = 60 V

I don't know how to proceed now.

Attachments

• uMHqpqA.png
    uMHqpqA.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 695
  • wsuU2b9.png
    wsuU2b9.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 410
Physics news on Phys.org
Investigate the "Maximum power transfer theorem".

gneill said:
Investigate the "Maximum power transfer theorem".
So according to the "maximum power transfer theorem", R=RT=10Ω. Thank you.

From that, the equation for IA should be:
E1-IAR3+IR3-IAR-IR-IAR4=0
-20IA=-30-10-20
IA=3 A
and for Uab:
Uab=-IAR4+E1-IAR3+IR3=40 V
Now I can get IR=ET/RT+R=2 A and PR=I2*R=22*10=40 W. Hopefully I did everything right.

Although, now it asks me to get IR3 and its direction, but isn't its direction already defined by the current source?

Maybe it's: IR3=I+I-IA ? With direction to the left?

stipan_relix said:
From that, the equation for IA should be:
E1-IAR3+IR3-IAR-IR-IAR4=0
-20IA=-30-10-20
IA=3 A
and for Uab:
Uab=-IAR4+E1-IAR3+IR3=40 V
Now I can get IR=ET/RT+R=2 A and PR=I2*R=22*10=40 W. Hopefully I did everything right.
Looks good. A simpler way would be to employ your Thevenin equivalent:
upload_2018-12-13_12-43-28.png

##I = \frac{V_{th}}{R_{th} + R_L}##

##V_{ab} = V_{th} \frac{R_L}{R_{th} + R_L}##
Although, now it asks me to get IR3 and its direction, but isn't its direction already defined by the current source?
Not quite, since neither of the current sources is directly in series with ##R_3##, and you may not be able to know off hand the effect of ##E_1## on the direction. However, you do now know all the currents but one entering/leaving the central node, so KCL at that node will settle the matter.
stipan_relix said:
Maybe it's: IR3=I+I-IA ? With direction to the left?
Yup.

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-13_12-43-28.png
    upload_2018-12-13_12-43-28.png
    953 bytes · Views: 372
Last edited:
Looks good. A simpler way would be to employ your Thevenin equivalent: Vab=Vth*RL/Rth+RL
This gives me Vab = 20V, but my way above got Vab = 40V?

stipan_relix said:
This gives me Vab = 20V, but my way above got Vab = 40V?
Oops, I missed that when I scanned your work. Although you shouldn't be getting 20 V either !

By the Thevenin method you know you've got a voltage divider with two equal resistances, hence the output should be 1/2 the source voltage, so one half ##V_{th}## or 30 V.

gneill said:
Oops, I missed that when I scanned your work. Although you shouldn't be getting 20 V either !

By the Thevenin method you know you've got a voltage divider with two equal resistances, hence the output should be 1/2 the source voltage, so one half ##V_{th}## or 30 V.
I am confused now. Isn't the Vab I got also Vth? Where did you get 30 V from?

stipan_relix said:
I am confused now. Isn't the Vab I got also Vth? Where did you get 30 V from?
See the diagram in post #5.

You calculated ##V_{th} = 60\;V## and ##R_{th} = 10\;\Omega##. Half of ##V_{th}## is ##30\;V##.

gneill said:
See the diagram in post #5.

You calculated ##V_{th} = 60\;V## and ##R_{th} = 10\;\Omega##. Half of ##V_{th}## is ##30\;V##.
It says 40V for me, not 60V?
VbFI78b.png

I also thought Vab = Vth?

Attachments

• VbFI78b.png
    VbFI78b.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 347
In your very first post you correctly calculated the open circuit voltage ##U_{ab}## which is the Thevenin voltage. Once you attach a load across the output, it will no longer read ##V_{th}## but some fraction of it depending on the size of the load resistance and ##R_{th}##.

gneill said:
In your very first post you correctly calculated the open circuit voltage ##U_{ab}## which is the Thevenin voltage. Once you attach a load across the output, it will no longer read ##V_{th}## but some fraction of it depending on the size of the load resistance and ##R_{th}##.
Alright, but how does that fit into the maximum power transfer theorem if RT=R=10Ω then gives me IA=3 A and with that IA I get Vab=40V?
Because the first time I solved for IA, I did it like R wasn't there at all, but since RT=R=10Ω, shouldn't I solve it using R in the equation as well?

stipan_relix said:
Alright, but how does that fit into the maximum power transfer theorem if RT=R=10Ω then gives me IA=3 A and with that IA I get Vab=40V?
Because the first time I solved for IA, I did it like R wasn't there at all, but since RT=R=10Ω, shouldn't I solve it using R in the equation as well?
Yes. For the Thevenin version you've two resistors forming a voltage divider. Each of them is 10 Ω. Also,

3 A * 10 Ω = 30 V.

Likes stipan_relix
Okay I think I kind of understand it now. Thank you.

1. What is Thevenin's theorem and how does it work?

Thevenin's theorem is a powerful tool used in circuit analysis to simplify complex circuits into a simpler equivalent circuit. It states that any two-terminal linear circuit can be replaced by an equivalent circuit consisting of a voltage source in series with a resistor. This makes the analysis of circuits much easier and can help determine the values of resistance and current.

2. How do I find the Thevenin resistance (R) of a circuit?

To find the Thevenin resistance, you will need to follow these steps:

1. Remove all voltage and current sources from the circuit.
  2. Calculate the resistance between the two terminals of the circuit. This will be your Thevenin resistance (R).

3. Can Thevenin's theorem be used for non-linear circuits?

No, Thevenin's theorem can only be applied to linear circuits. Non-linear circuits, such as those with diodes or transistors, cannot be simplified using this theorem.

4. How do I find the Thevenin voltage (V) of a circuit?

The Thevenin voltage (V) is the open-circuit voltage between the two terminals of the circuit. To find it, follow these steps:

1. Remove all voltage and current sources from the circuit.
  2. Calculate the voltage between the two terminals of the circuit. This will be your Thevenin voltage (V).

5. Can Thevenin's theorem be used for circuits with dependent sources?

Yes, Thevenin's theorem can be applied to circuits with dependent sources as long as the dependent sources are linear. This means that the output of the dependent source is directly proportional to the input.