How to use Weibull distribution when it comes to wind?

In summary, the conversation is about using the Weibull distribution and finding the probability for a specific wind speed or interval. The person is confused about how to use it and is asking for clarification. They also mention using the CDF and the midpoint of the pdf as possible methods.
Kolika28
Homework Statement
I'm asked to find out how many hours of the year that the wind is between 4,5 m/s and 5,5 m/s.
Relevant Equations
Weibull formula
I know that I'm supposed to use Weibull, but why does my teacher take the middle value, 5 m/s? Should one not integrate the formula and the use 4,5 and 5,5 as limits? This is what he has done:
1575392548860.png

He then writes: makes a guess of an interval of 1 m/s and get:
1575392837248.png

1575392925153.png

To be honest, I really don't understand how to use Weibull distribution, and it would be great if someone could explain. I tried finding some websites, but I don't understand. How do I find the probability for one specific wind speed, or find the probability for an interval like this problem I posted?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you so much!

1. How do I determine the Weibull parameters for a wind distribution?

The parameters for a Weibull distribution can be determined through statistical methods such as maximum likelihood estimation. Data on wind speed and frequency can be used to calculate the shape and scale parameters of the distribution.

2. Can the Weibull distribution be used for all wind speeds?

While the Weibull distribution is commonly used for modeling wind speeds, it may not be suitable for all speeds. Extreme wind speeds may require a different type of distribution, such as the generalized extreme value distribution.

3. How do I interpret the results of a Weibull distribution for wind?

The shape parameter of the Weibull distribution indicates the degree of variability in wind speeds. A shape parameter less than one indicates a lower variability, while a shape parameter greater than one indicates a higher variability. The scale parameter represents the characteristic wind speed for the location.

4. Can the Weibull distribution be used for wind direction as well?

The Weibull distribution is typically used for modeling wind speed, but it can also be used for wind direction by converting the directional data into a circular variable. However, other distributions may be more suitable for wind direction data, such as the von Mises distribution.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Weibull distribution for wind analysis?

The Weibull distribution assumes that wind speeds are independent and identically distributed, which may not always be the case. Additionally, the distribution assumes that wind speeds are continuous, which may not be accurate for extremely low or high speeds. It is important to evaluate the appropriateness of the Weibull distribution for the specific wind data being analyzed.