How to visualise an instanton?

• I
  • Thread starter mollwollfumble
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wormhole
In summary, the instanton appears in both the General Relativity and the Quantum Mechanics theories, and has a role in the recent ER = EPR paper by Maldacena and Susskind. It can be visualized as a "source and sink" = "black hole and white hole" = "equal positive and negative charges" in extremely close proximity.
mollwollfumble
Not sure whether this should be posted under GR, QM, Beyond the standard model, or Topology and analysis. I understand GR best so am posting here. I'm having trouble visualising the "instanton". My limited understanding is that the instanton appears both in GR and QM, and has a role in the recent ER = EPR paper by Maldacena and Susskind. Also, from A. Zee's book I understand that an instanton is a topological defect similar to a vortex and monopole.

I find the standard visualisation of an instanton, as a cuplike depression between a singularity and the outer universe, completely bewildering because it directly contradicts the classical picture of the Schwarzschild black hole in unmodified space-time coordinates, where an infalling particle heads towards infinite positive time at the event horizon and then reappears at an infinite negative time just inside the event horizon to move forward in time to hit the singularity a small positive time after approaching the BH. There is nothing even remotely like a cup-shape depression in the region between the outer universe and the singularity.

I also find the instanton illustrated as ring around the tightest part of a wormhole unconvincing, because the wormhole throat shrinks to zero when anything enters, so all that illustration shows is a point.

As a person with a PhD in classical fluid mechanics, I came up with the following possible visualisation of an instanton. The topological defect called the monopole/hedgehog/source/sink can be illustrated by "particle paths" = "flow lines" = "streamlines" in potential flow radiating from a central point singularity. The topological defect called a "vortex" can be illustrated by "particle paths" = "flow lines" = "streamlines" in potential flow circling a central point singularity.

Perhaps, if I understand it correctly, an instanton can be seen as a "source and sink" = "black hole and white hole" = "equal positive and negative charges" in extremely close proximity. In potential flow we call that the "doublet". One feature that the doublet has in common with the instanton is that the integral of particle speed at infinity for the doublet and instanton is zero for both. This integral is not zero for either the sink or the vortex.

Typical illustrations are: http://nptel.ac.in/courses/112104118/lecture-21/images/fig21.5.gif , http://nptel.ac.in/courses/101103004/module3/lec7/images/3.png , http://web.mit.edu/fluids-modules/www/potential_flows/LecturesHTML/lec1011/img79.gif.

Is my idea reasonable? or daft?

Likes Instantonly
Physics news on Phys.org
mollwollfumble said:
Not sure whether this should be posted under GR, QM, Beyond the standard model, or Topology and analysis.

I'm moving it to the Quantum Physics forum since it seems most likely to get useful responses there.

Anybody have a comment on this?

1. What is an instanton?

An instanton is a type of mathematical object used in theoretical physics to describe the behavior of particles in quantum field theory. It is a classical solution to the equations of motion that represents an unstable state in which particles can tunnel from one energy level to another.

2. How is an instanton visualized?

An instanton is typically visualized as a three-dimensional object, with the position of particles in the x, y, and z directions represented by different axes. The shape and behavior of the instanton can be visualized using computer software or by hand-drawing diagrams.

3. What are the benefits of visualizing an instanton?

Visualizing an instanton can help scientists better understand the behavior of particles in quantum field theory and make predictions about their interactions. It can also aid in the development of new theories and models in theoretical physics.

4. Are there different ways to visualize an instanton?

Yes, there are various approaches to visualizing an instanton, depending on the specific research being conducted. Some scientists use mathematical equations and diagrams, while others use computer simulations and animations to visualize the behavior of an instanton.

5. How does visualizing an instanton contribute to scientific research?

Visualizing an instanton allows scientists to better understand the complex behavior of particles and make predictions about their interactions. This can lead to new discoveries and advancements in theoretical physics, ultimately contributing to our understanding of the universe and its fundamental laws.

Back