How to Waterproof a Strain Gage?

In summary, the group is looking for a cost-effective solution for implementing a force (strain) gage underwater for a test with a tight budget. They are seeking recommendations for hermetically sealing the gage without interfering with the data. Suggestions include using a balloon or plastic bag to keep the gage dry, using shrink wrap, or overcoating the gage with silicone RTV. The group also clarifies that they need to measure pressure and temperature and asks for further details on the type of gage needed.
Daniel Sadlier
Hello all,

Our project needs to implement a force (strain) gage underwater for one of our tests. Our budget is pretty tight and we can't afford a wash-down strain gage that can support the forces that we will be operating at (~500 lbs).

Does anybody know a way to hermetically seal a strain gage and that doesn't interfere with the data? Or possibly a vendor that sells them for cheap?

Any help is welcome. Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Just a thought, but does the strain gauge actually have to be in water? Could you have it in some kind of balloon or something? I don't know the details of your test. Can you simply have the strain gauge some how kept dry through some simple thing like a plastic bag or latex balloon or some such dodge? Maybe you can use shrink wrap that shrinks using a heat gun?

How sensitive is your test to the possibility of contamination? Could you use plasticene or some such thing? How much water pressure does the "water proofing" need to withstand?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JM5GW10/?tag=pfamazon01-20

A force gauge and a strain gauge are different things - what do you actually need to measure ?

What is pressure and temperature of water to be sealed against ?

As long as the pressure is not too high, and the base material you are measuring is stiff (e.g. metal), you can probably overcoat the strain gage in silicone RTV without affecting the strain reading too much.

1. How do I choose the right waterproofing material for my strain gage?

The best waterproofing material for a strain gage will depend on the specific application and environmental conditions it will be used in. Some common options include silicone, polyurethane, and epoxy. It is important to consider factors such as temperature, exposure to chemicals, and durability when selecting a waterproofing material.

2. Can I use any type of strain gage for waterproofing?

No, not all strain gages are suitable for waterproofing. It is important to use a strain gage specifically designed for waterproofing, as they have a protective coating and construction that can withstand exposure to moisture.

3. How do I prepare the surface before applying waterproofing material?

The surface where the strain gage will be attached should be clean, dry, and free of any dirt or oils. You may also need to lightly sand or roughen the surface to ensure proper adhesion of the waterproofing material.

4. Is it necessary to waterproof a strain gage for all applications?

It is not always necessary to waterproof a strain gage, but it is recommended for applications where the gage will be exposed to moisture or extreme environmental conditions. Waterproofing can help protect the gage and ensure accurate readings over time.

5. Can I waterproof a strain gage myself or should I hire a professional?

It is possible to waterproof a strain gage yourself, but it can be a delicate and precise process. If you are not experienced with strain gages and their installation, it may be best to hire a professional to ensure proper waterproofing and accurate readings.

Back