How to work out expected frequency from normal distribution

In summary, the expected frequency column for each interval of trains is calculated by using the normal distribution and the formula (x - mean) / standard deviation, where x is the upper limit of the interval. This results in a decimal value, which is then multiplied by the total observed frequency to get the expected frequency for that interval. However, the expected frequencies may not always be whole numbers and may require using more precise tools for accurate calculations.
question dude
attachment.php?attachmentid=455065&d=1440381068.jpg
How is the expected frequency column worked out for each interval of trains?

2) My attempt

Take the first interval, 60 - 62, I thought about doing this:

(62 - mean) / standard deviation

(62 - 67.45) / 2.92 = - 1.866

using Z score < - 1.886, from the normal distribution table, I get:

1 - 0.9686 = 0.0314

0.0314*(100) = 3.14

please note 100 is the total observed frequency

As you can see, I get 3.14 instead of 4.13 as given in the expected frequency column.

Physics news on Phys.org
question dude said:
attachment.php?attachmentid=455065&d=1440381068.jpg
How is the expected frequency column worked out for each interval of trains?

2) My attempt

Take the first interval, 60 - 62, I thought about doing this:

(62 - mean) / standard deviation

(62 - 67.45) / 2.92 = - 1.866

using Z score < - 1.886, from the normal distribution table, I get:

1 - 0.9686 = 0.0314

0.0314*(100) = 3.14

please note 100 is the total observed frequency

As you can see, I get 3.14 instead of 4.13 as given in the expected frequency column.

I don't get your answers; I don't get the tabulated expected frequencies, either, but I come close to the latter.

The number of trains is integer-valued (i.e, whole numbers) but you are approximating its distribution by a continuous distribution (the normal). So, the statement {60 ≤ trains ≤ 62} is the same as {59.5 ≤ trains ≤ 62.5} for actual, physical trains. If you use the normal distribution on the interval (59.5,62.5) you will get an expected frequency of 100* 0.04178 ≈ 4.178, which is not that far from the tabulate value of 4.13. For the interval (63 → 65 ) = (62.5 → 65.5) I get an expected frequency of 100 * 0.2071 = 20.71, which is close to the tabulated 20.68.

I used Maple to do accurate computations; if the tabulator used cruder tools he/she could get less accurate answers.

BTW: in goodness-of-fit tests we do NOT usually round off the "expected frequencies" to whole numbers; for the first cell we would typically leave it as 4.178 (or maybe 4.18, or maybe 4.2). The reason for this is that there is no reason at all to assume the expected frequencies to be integers. This has nothing at all to do with whether or not the distribution is discrete (for whole numbers) or for a continuous (like the normal): the expected cell frequency for an integer-valued random variable can --- and usually is --- a non-integer quantity.

What is a normal distribution?

A normal distribution is a probability distribution that is commonly used to represent real-world data. It is often referred to as a bell curve because of its shape, with the majority of data falling near the mean and tapering off as it moves farther away from the mean.

How do I calculate expected frequency from a normal distribution?

To calculate expected frequency from a normal distribution, you will need to know the mean and standard deviation of the data set. The expected frequency is equal to the probability of a particular value occurring multiplied by the total number of data points. This can be calculated using the formula: Expected frequency = (Probability of value occurring) x (Total number of data points)

Can expected frequency be negative?

No, expected frequency cannot be negative. It is a measure of how often a particular value is expected to occur in a normal distribution, and therefore must be a positive number.

What is the difference between observed frequency and expected frequency?

Observed frequency is the actual number of times a particular value occurs in a data set, while expected frequency is the number of times that value is expected to occur based on a normal distribution and the total number of data points. The difference between the two can help determine if there is a significant difference between the observed and expected values.

How can I use expected frequency in statistical analysis?

Expected frequency can be used in statistical analysis to compare the observed values in a data set to what would be expected in a normal distribution. This can help identify any significant differences and can be used to make predictions about future data based on the normal distribution.