How was Newtonian relativity ruled out in EM propagation?

In summary, the Michelson/Morley experiment showed that the idea of the luminiferous aether was less likely, but I don't think I've ever seen an explanation of why everyone didn't just assume that light follows normal Newtonian relativity. According to Maxwell's equations, EM radiation is just propagating electric and magnetic fields. If this were the case, then you would expect the speed of light to be measured the same in all directions, regardless of the Earth's movement through space, and there would be no need for the Lorentz transformations. However, the speed of light does not depend on the movement of the source, which is why the lorentz transforms are necessary.
Zebulin
What I've read on the Michelson/Morley experiment explains that it made the idea of the luminiferous aether seem less likely, but I don't think I've ever seen an explanation of why everyone didn't just assume that light follows normal Newtonian relativity. What I mean is this: according to Maxwell's equations, EM radiation is just propagating electric and magnetic fields. Those fields begin with an object that is moving at some velocity, v, with respect to the observer. Each induced field will be moving at the same relative velocity, so that the measured speed of the EM radiation will be c + v.

If this were the case, then you would expect the speed of light to be measured the same in all directions, regardless of the Earth's movement through space, and there would be no need for the Lorentz transformations. Can anyone tell me how this interpretation was ruled out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Precisely because the speed of light does not depend on the movement of the source, which is why the lorentz transforms are necessary.

Think that the length of the path of the light beam is different in different reference systems, if the speed of light remains constant then the time must also be different, so that the speed of light remains constant.

I c is a constant, then length and time must be different for different observers.

Zebulin said:
What I mean is this: according to Maxwell's equations, EM radiation is just propagating electric and magnetic fields.
Zebulin said:
t I don't think I've ever seen an explanation of why everyone didn't just assume that light follows normal Newtonian relativity.

If you accept Maxwell, you have to give up Gallilean relativity. Maxwell's equations are not invariant under Gallilean transforms.

1. How did Newtonian relativity originally explain EM propagation?

Newtonian relativity, also known as classical mechanics, explained EM propagation as a wave-like phenomenon that requires a medium called the "ether" to travel through.

2. What led to the ruling out of Newtonian relativity in EM propagation?

The Michelson-Morley experiment in 1887 provided evidence against the existence of the ether, which was the foundation of Newtonian relativity's explanation of EM propagation. This, along with other experiments and observations, led to the development of the theory of special relativity by Albert Einstein in 1905.

3. How does special relativity explain EM propagation?

Special relativity explains EM propagation as the movement of electromagnetic waves through space-time, without the need for a medium. It also states that the speed of light is constant and the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

4. Are there any exceptions to the theory of special relativity in regards to EM propagation?

No, the theory of special relativity has been extensively tested and has shown to be accurate in explaining all observed phenomena related to EM propagation. It is considered one of the cornerstones of modern physics.

5. How does the theory of general relativity impact our understanding of EM propagation?

The theory of general relativity, which was developed by Einstein in 1915, expanded upon the principles of special relativity and provided a more complete understanding of gravity and the curvature of space-time. This theory has also been extensively tested and has shown to accurately predict the behavior of EM propagation in the presence of massive objects, such as stars and galaxies.