How were logs and roots calculated before calculators?

In summary, before the invention of calculators, mathematicians used techniques such as slide rules and algorithms to calculate square roots and other mathematical operations. These methods required only pen and paper and were taught to students as early as 16 years old. One such algorithm involved dividing and averaging while a faster method involved using pairs of digits in the square to find the square root.
dpm
I'm not sure whether this is the correct forum, so I apologise if it's in the incorrect forum.

Anyway, when studying A level maths a few years ago, we came across a technique for calculating roots that my teacher claimed was used before calculators were invented. I can't remember the actual technique used, but I remember thinking at the time that it was particularly clever. He also claimed that before calculators, mathematicians were forced to invent other, similarly clever techniques to work out their logs and roots etc.

So, what were these techniques? How exactly were the logs and roots calculated before modern computing machines?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
How is it possible that BobG hasn't shown up in this thread yet? :biggrin:

There is an algorithm to calculate square roots to any required degree of accuracy with merely pen and paper alone. I learned it from a book published in about 1920 aimed at 16 year olds when I was about 10; the book is also no longer in print. Anyway, my point is, I can't really remember it, but if someone really wanted to, I could half-remember and half-work it out. Or maybe someone else knows it too.

masudr said:
There is an algorithm to calculate square roots to any required degree of accuracy with merely pen and paper alone. I learned it from a book published in about 1920 aimed at 16 year olds when I was about 10; the book is also no longer in print. Anyway, my point is, I can't really remember it, but if someone really wanted to, I could half-remember and half-work it out. Or maybe someone else knows it too.
Suppose you want the squareroot of 55. It must lie between 7 and 8.
Try 7.5. [tex]\frac{55}{7.5} = 7.333[/tex]
Now, calculate the mean:
[tex]\frac{7.5 + 7.333}{2} = 7.41666[/tex]
and use it in the new iteration:
[tex]\frac{55}{7.41666} = 7.41573[/tex]
[tex]\frac{7.4166 + 7.41573}{2} = 7.416198468[/tex]
Using the calculator of Windows, you get for the squareroot of 55 the value 7.416198487...

This "divide-and-average" method can be derived using the more general http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/NewtonsMethod.html of finding zeroes of nonlinear functions.

Last edited by a moderator:
These algorithms are slow; a faster one realizes that
[tex](10a+b)^2 = 100a^2 + 20ab + b^2[/tex]
and works out the digits of the square root based on pairs of digits of the square, by finding a [itex]b[/itex] such that [itex]b(20a+b)[/itex] matches whatever is left (having subtracted the first term already).

1. How were logarithms and roots calculated before calculators?

Before calculators were invented, logarithms and roots were calculated using logarithm tables and manual calculations. Logarithm tables were reference tables that listed the values of logarithms for different numbers. By looking up the logarithm of a number in the table, one could then perform manual calculations to find the desired root or power.

2. Why were logarithms and roots important before the invention of calculators?

Logarithms and roots were important in many scientific and engineering fields before the invention of calculators. They made complex calculations easier and more efficient, and were commonly used for tasks such as solving equations, determining exponential growth rates, and calculating geometric figures.

3. How accurate were logarithm tables for calculating logs and roots?

Logarithm tables were highly accurate for calculating logs and roots, with most tables having at least 5-6 decimal places of precision. However, human error in using the tables and performing manual calculations could introduce some degree of inaccuracy.

4. Were there any other methods used for calculating logs and roots before calculators?

Yes, there were other methods used for calculating logs and roots before calculators, such as the use of slide rules and abacus. However, these methods were not as efficient or accurate as using logarithm tables.

5. How did the invention of calculators impact the calculation of logs and roots?

The invention of calculators revolutionized the calculation of logs and roots, making it much faster and more accurate. With the ability to input numbers and perform calculations automatically, the need for manual calculations and logarithm tables significantly decreased.