How will the equation for gravitational force be changed?

In summary,The equation for the force between two particles will tend to be GmM/d^2 when d becomes very large compared to L.
Edel Crine
Homework Statement
There is a gravitational force between a particle and a uniform rod.
m is a mass of particle, M is a mass and L is a length of the rod. d is the distance between the head of the rod and particle.
If the d>>L, how does the equation for the gravitational force of the rod to a particle will be changed?
Relevant Equations
F = GmM/d(d+L)
At first, I thought when the rod goes really far away from the particle, then L would approach to zero in a particle's reference view. As a result, the equation will be GmM/d^2. However, I just thought that L just remain as it is regardless of change in d, but not sure...

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct but for the wrong reason. What you are saying might have some intuitive sense but it is mathematically incorrect or inaccurate. What really happens is that when d becomes very large in comparison to L then the ratio ##\frac{L}{d}## tends to zero.

How can you take advantage that for ##d>>L## it will be ##\frac{L}{d}\approx 0## to prove mathematically that the force will tend to ##F\approx G\frac{mM}{d^2}##?

Likes Edel Crine
Delta2 said:
You are correct but for the wrong reason. What you are saying might have some intuitive sense but it is mathematically incorrect or inaccurate. What really happens is that when d becomes very large in comparison to L then the ratio ##\frac{L}{d}## tends to zero.

How can you take advantage that for ##d>>L## it will be ##\frac{L}{d}\approx 0## to prove mathematically that the force will tend to ##F\approx G\frac{mM}{d^2}##?
Ummmm... using limit...?
lim d->∞ (L/d) = L/∞ = 0...?

You are just using limits to prove that $$lim_{d \to +\infty}\frac{L}{d}=0$$ which is fine but I didn't ask you to do this. Essentially I asked you to prove that $$\lim_{\frac{L}{d} \to 0}G\frac{mM}{d(d+L)}=G\frac{mM}{d^2}$$

Likes Edel Crine
Delta2 said:
You are just using limits to prove that $$lim_{d \to +\infty}\frac{L}{d}=0$$ which is fine but I didn't ask you to do this. Essentially I asked you to prove that $$\lim_{\frac{L}{d} \to 0}G\frac{mM}{d(d+L)}=G\frac{mM}{d^2}$$
I'm so sorry... little stuck...

Delta2 said:
Oh, if I divide both numerator and denominator by d^2, then
(GmM/d^2)*(1/(1+L/d))
=GmM/d^2)*(1/(1+0))
=(GmM/d^2)*1
=GmM/d^2
?

Well now you have essentially proven it correctly :D.

You just have to learn to use ##LATEX## though :D

Likes Edel Crine
Delta2 said:
Well now you have essentially proven it correctly :D.

You just have to learn to use ##LATEX## though :D
I really appreciate! That makes a lot more sense to me! Yes, learning LATEX would be much easier to show my works... Anyway, you have a great day!

Likes Delta2

Related to How will the equation for gravitational force be changed?

1. How does the equation for gravitational force change with distance?

The equation for gravitational force changes with distance according to the inverse square law, which states that the force of gravity decreases as the distance between two objects increases. This means that as the distance between two objects doubles, the force of gravity decreases by a factor of four.

2. Does the equation for gravitational force change with mass?

Yes, the equation for gravitational force changes with mass according to Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, which states that the force of gravity is directly proportional to the product of the masses of two objects. This means that as the mass of either object increases, the force of gravity between them also increases.

3. How does the equation for gravitational force change in different environments?

The equation for gravitational force does not change in different environments, as it is a fundamental law of physics. However, the strength of gravity may vary slightly depending on the density and composition of the objects involved.

4. Can the equation for gravitational force be changed?

The equation for gravitational force is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be changed. However, it can be modified to account for other factors such as the shape of objects or the effects of relativity.

5. How does the equation for gravitational force change with the inclusion of other forces?

The equation for gravitational force remains the same regardless of other forces present. However, the overall force acting on an object will be the vector sum of all forces, including gravitational force. This is known as the principle of superposition.