How would the sky look if ether drag hypothesis was true?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the ether theory and its potential impact on stellar aberration. The speaker questions how the sky would look if the ether were to exist and be dragged along with Earth's movement around the sun. They also consider the conservation of momentum and how it would affect the Earth's orbit if the ether were to exist. The conversation ends with a request for a visual representation of how the ether would affect observations of stellar aberration.
weezy
I just learned how stellar abberation and the ether theory while studying Robert resnick's book. What I'm thinking is how the sky would look IF ether were to exist and be dragged along the Earth as it revolved the sun. Since Earth's local supply of ether is moving along with it i.e. rest w.r.t the Earth shouldn't it behave like a giant layer of refractive glass over the earth? Since any light falling on it(the surface of ether layer surrounding earth) say from an angle 30° to the overhead would be propagated directly along the normal or very close to normal to maintain light's speed C wrt to Earth's ether. Because if it didn't bend the light then due to Earth's motion around sun (V=30 Km/s) we would see an additional speed being added ( I guess V cos 30° will be added to C and resultant will be sqrt(c²+V² cos ² 30°)) to the light ray which is would be inconsistent with the the original hypothesis itself. Is the analysis OK? Or more importantly is stellar abberation definite proof for dismissing the ether drag hypothesis? If ether drag did exist then would there be no stellar abberation?

Physics news on Phys.org
weezy said:
I just learned how stellar abberation and the ether theory while studying Robert resnick's book. What I'm thinking is how the sky would look IF ether were to exist and be dragged along the Earth as it revolved the sun.
In order to answer your question you will need to endow your "ether" with some physical properties. Have you considered what they might be, for example by what mechanism is the ether "dragged"? What optical properties might it have? What experiments would you propose to measure them?

Consider conservation of momentum. If the Earth dragged the aether, the aether would also produce a drag on the Earth. The planet would lose orbital energy and spiral into the Sun. If aether drag existed, you wouldn't be here to see it.

m4r35n357 said:
In order to answer your question you will need to endow your "ether" with some physical properties. Have you considered what they might be, for example by what mechanism is the ether "dragged"? What optical properties might it have? What experiments would you propose to measure them?
For the dragging mechanism I'll just assume that gravity helps the ether stick to the planet and neglect effects of rotation which might cause the ether to be in motion wrt earth. Also the only condition for ether is the constancy of speed of light. My doubt arises when trying to understand how stellar abberation falsifies the existence of ether. The author mentions that stellar abberation wouldn't exist at all if Earth had a layer of ether in rest wrt it. So I wondered is that really necessary ? Because abberation is nothing but stars moving in circles and even if you had ether you would still see stars moving in circles due to the Earth going around the sun. I don't see why this obvious phenomenon would contradict the ether hypothesis.

GeorgeDishman said:
Consider conservation of momentum. If the Earth dragged the aether, the aether would also produce a drag on the Earth. The planet would lose orbital energy and spiral into the Sun. If aether drag existed, you wouldn't be here to see it.
I don't require proof to convince me ether is unnecessary. What I need is a picture of how ether would affect our observations of stellar abberation.

weezy said:
What I need is a picture of how ether would affect our observations of stellar abberation.

There were several different ether models which had different expected results. Wikipedia has some animations showing these effects and outlines the problems found with each model: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aberration_of_light#Aether_drag_models

Likes Fervent Freyja and weezy

1. What is the ether drag hypothesis?

The ether drag hypothesis was a scientific theory proposed in the late 19th and early 20th centuries to explain the properties of light and electromagnetic waves. It suggested that there was a medium called the "ether" that filled the space between objects and that light traveled through this medium.

2. How would the sky look if the ether drag hypothesis was true?

If the ether drag hypothesis was true, the sky would look similar to how it looks now. The main difference would be that the speed of light would be affected by the motion of the ether, causing slight variations in the color and intensity of light from different sources.

3. Would the ether drag hypothesis affect our daily lives?

No, the ether drag hypothesis has been disproven by numerous experiments and is not a current scientific theory. It does not have any practical implications on our daily lives.

4. How did scientists disprove the ether drag hypothesis?

Scientists used a variety of experiments, including the Michelson-Morley experiment, to disprove the ether drag hypothesis. These experiments showed that the speed of light remains constant regardless of the motion of the observer, contradicting the predictions of the ether drag hypothesis.

5. Are there any modern theories that are similar to the ether drag hypothesis?

No, the ether drag hypothesis is no longer considered a valid scientific theory. However, there are some modern theories, such as the concept of a "quantum foam," that propose a similar idea of a medium filling the space between objects. These theories are still being studied and are not widely accepted by the scientific community.