HR neuron model using analog computer technique

In summary: TL081 is possible. Most Op Amps have an offset adjustment, and I don't know if SPICE simulates this - maybe you have overlooked it if so.One possibility with the circuit is that it is unstable and either oscillating, maybe at high frequency, or latching one way or the other. I think in hardware we would try breaking the signal path somewhere to see if it stabilises. I don't know the multiplier but I notice there is nothing to limit its high frequency response, so maybe SPICE will create noise or oscillation.
zulqar
Circuit.png
CalcNew.png
Hi Everyone,

I am simulating(using HSPICE) HR neuron model using analog computer technique but I am not getting the required response.
I am using uA741 model of opamp and MLT04 model of multiplier. I have tested these components individually and they are working fine. I doubt there is something wrong in adjustment of DC levels.
If anyone can figure out what might be the problem , I will be extremely thankful.

Attachments

• Code.txt
    3.4 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:
What response are you getting and what did you expect?

zulqar said:
View attachment 83872 View attachment 83873 Hi Everyone,

I am simulating(using HSPICE) HR neuron model using analog computer technique but I am not getting the required response.
I am using uA741 model of opamp and MLT04 model of multiplier. I have tested these components individually and they are working fine. I doubt there is something wrong in adjustment of DC levels.
If anyone can figure out what might be the problem , I will be extremely thankful.
Why don't you choose a more modern op-amp which has more perfect performance? The 741 is very obsolete. Small offsets etc can add up in a circuit like this.

tech99 said:
Why don't you choose a more modern op-amp which has more perfect performance? The 741 is very obsolete. Small offsets etc can add up in a circuit like this.
Thanks tech99 for the response.
Could you please let me know any modern opamp which I can use.

zulqar said:
Thanks tech99 for the response.
Could you please let me know any modern opamp which I can use.
TL081 is possible. Most Op Amps have an offset adjustment, and I don't know if SPICE simulates this - maybe you have overlooked it if so.
One possibility with the circuit is that it is unstable and either oscillating, maybe at high frequency, or latching one way or the other. I think in hardware we would try breaking the signal path somewhere to see if it stabilises. I don't know the multiplier but I notice there is nothing to limit its high frequency response, so maybe SPICE will create noise or oscillation.

1. What is an HR neuron model using analog computer technique?

An HR neuron model using analog computer technique is a computational model that simulates the behavior of a biological neuron using an analog computer. It was first proposed by British neurophysiologist Alan Lloyd Hodgkin and Andrew Huxley in 1952 to describe the electrical properties of a nerve cell.

2. How does the HR neuron model work?

The HR neuron model uses differential equations to describe the flow of ions across the cell membrane, which generates an action potential. The analog computer then uses electrical components such as resistors, capacitors, and amplifiers to simulate the behavior of the neuron.

3. What are the advantages of using an analog computer for the HR neuron model?

Analog computers can solve differential equations in real-time, making them well-suited for modeling complex systems like neurons. They also have the ability to handle continuous signals, which is more representative of the behavior of biological neurons compared to digital computers.

4. What are the limitations of the HR neuron model using analog computer technique?

One of the main limitations of this model is that it is a simplified representation of the complex biological processes that occur in a neuron. It also requires a high level of technical expertise to use and can be difficult to scale up for larger networks of neurons.

5. How is the HR neuron model using analog computer technique used in research?

The HR neuron model has been used in various studies to understand the behavior of neurons and how they interact with each other. It has also been used to develop computational models of neural networks and to investigate the effects of different drugs and diseases on neuronal activity.