HTML, add/delete element inside div

In summary: Are you looking for a way to change the content of a page without manually editing it yourself, or are you looking for a way to add or delete something in a div? If the former, then you should definitely consider using a database. If the latter, then you might be able to accomplish what you want using just HTML and CSS. However, I would recommend learning more about how to create user interfaces with HTML and CSS, as that will likely be more applicable in the "real world."
kolleamm
I'm searching for a way to add/delete an element in a div in my html code. So far I have only found ways to replace content of existing elements.

<div class="example">
empty...
</div>

how would I do this?

Technology news on Phys.org
JavaScript can delete objects (and do basically everything with the code). css can hide objects or make them visible. If you want to get rid of it completely in HTML, you can just delete it in the source code.

What exactly do you want to do?

Likes QuantumQuest
mfb said:
JavaScript can delete objects (and do basically everything with the code). css can hide objects or make them visible. If you want to get rid of it completely in HTML, you can just delete it in the source code.

What exactly do you want to do?
I'm trying to make a comments section for a webpage. Do I need to permanently alter the html code? Because every time I refresh my text disappears.

kolleamm said:
I'm trying to make a comments section for a webpage. Do I need to permanently alter the html code?
Yes, of course, but what does this have to do with adding or deleting something in a div?
kolleamm said:
Because every time I refresh my text disappears.
Maybe your browser is loaded a cached copy of the web page, and not the one you edited?

Likes QuantumQuest
This is a good example why you should not ask x-y-questions.

I guess you don't want to give other users full access to modify your web page as they want. You'll need some defined interface where users can submit comments that get stored at your server, and accessed once the server delivers a web page. This is typically done with a database, e.g. an SQL database. The user submits text via an HTML form, a PHP site receives the submission and puts the text into a database. Every time the comments page is loaded, the server looks in the database for comments and puts them into the HTML code via PHP.
(This can be extended in many ways: usernames together with the comments, user accounts, edit functionality, formatting tools, ...)

If you don't understand all those components, better use some existing comment system. There is no need to reinvent the wheel if you just want simple comments.

Likes QuantumQuest
mfb said:
This is a good example why you should not ask x-y-questions.
Thanks for that link. I had never heard of the "XY problem" but it made me laugh because I see it so often. And I'm sure I'm guilty of it myself. @kolleamm I don't think you can do what you want to do with just HTML and CSS. Rather than using a database as mfb suggested, you can also save the comments to a file. Either way I think this is something that will require some server side scripting. There are lots of online resources for learning PHP. Or, as mfb mentioned, there are probably scripts already written that you can just add to your page.

mfb said:
If you don't understand all those components, better use some existing comment system. There is no need to reinvent the wheel if you just want simple comments.
If you just want to get something done, I agree. If this is mainly intended as a learning exercise, that's another matter. In that case, I'd do as TurtleMeister suggested and store the comments in simple text files at first, while you focus on the user interface. Then, learn how to use a simple database (MySQL or whatever you have available on your system) for the comments instead. If you want to use this in the "real world" eventually, make sure to learn about how to guard against hacking via e.g. SQL injection!

kolleamm said:
I'm trying to make a comments section for a webpage. Do I need to permanently alter the html code? Because every time I refresh my text disappears.
This is very confusing. I suspect you are not using a database? That is how you store information and then retrieve it. Not by physically adding or removing content from the actual page code.

Thank you for your answers and sorry the confusion. I'm still fairly new to web development, so far I have only learned HTML,CSS, JS , and Angular JS. I have no knowledge at all of databases but as suggested by jtbell I will do some research on MySQL.

Basically what I want is to understand how to make my web page different without having to edit the source code myself.

kolleamm said:
Basically what I want is to understand how to make my web page different without having to edit the source code myself.
  • Have some script alter the source code files (usually a bad idea)
  • Use a database

kolleamm said:
This is a generally confusing statement. I think you need to be really really clear what your objectives are. What do you mean by different?

Greg Bernhardt said:
This is a generally confusing statement. I think you need to be really really clear what your objectives are. What do you mean by different?
For example if I had a website with an image, I can go online on my website, press a button and the image changes to another one. When I reload the page the image is still the second one it changed to.

kolleamm said:
For example if I had a website with an image, I can go online on my website, press a button and the image changes to another one. When I reload the page the image is still the second one it changed to.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are looking for an online website editor with drag and drop type functionality?

kolleamm said:
That is what server-side scripts (PHP, ASP.NET, etc.) are for. When these scripts are called (for example 'https://example.com/article.php ' instead of 'https://example.com/article.html '), the PHP script will write the HTML according to what you programmed it to do, and even based on user's input (such as GET queries - like 'https://example.com/article.php?comments=show ' - or POST from forms).

For example, here's what the file 'article.php' might look like:
PHP:
<html>
    <head>
        <title>My Article</title>
    </head>
    <body>
        <h1>My Article Title</h1>
        <article>
            <p>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Morbi ut mauris in sem lacinia gravida. Fusce bibendum blandit neque non fringilla. Praesent tincidunt iaculis lectus, pellentesque scelerisque lacus tempus in. Nunc scelerisque non erat in luctus. Suspendisse nisl ipsum, commodo at felis nec, viverra feugiat ante. Morbi auctor mauris enim, id pharetra diam volutpat cursus. Morbi varius tempus risus, in cursus nunc aliquet et. Nullam varius aliquet tincidunt.</p>
        </article>
    <?php
        if(isset($_GET["comments"]) && $_GET["comments"] == "show"){
            include 'comments.php';
        }
    ?>
    </body>
</html>
And in the file 'comments.php', it would return the HTML script for the comment section (which were probably fetch from a database).

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes kolleamm
Greg Bernhardt said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are looking for an online website editor with drag and drop type functionality?
Not really. This page for example, whenever somebody posts a reply it stays on the page even if someone refreshes it, that's what I'm trying to accomplish, make a permanent change to a page on my website.

jack action said:
That is what server-side scripts (PHP, ASP.NET, etc.) are for. When these scripts are called (for example 'https://example.com/article.php ' instead of 'https://example.com/article.html '), the PHP script will write the HTML according to what you programmed it to do, and even based on user's input (such as GET queries - like 'https://example.com/article.php?comments=show ' - or POST from forms).

For example, here's what the file 'article.php' might look like:
PHP:
<html>
    <head>
        <title>My Article</title>
    </head>
    <body>
        <h1>My Article Title</h1>
        <article>
            <p>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Morbi ut mauris in sem lacinia gravida. Fusce bibendum blandit neque non fringilla. Praesent tincidunt iaculis lectus, pellentesque scelerisque lacus tempus in. Nunc scelerisque non erat in luctus. Suspendisse nisl ipsum, commodo at felis nec, viverra feugiat ante. Morbi auctor mauris enim, id pharetra diam volutpat cursus. Morbi varius tempus risus, in cursus nunc aliquet et. Nullam varius aliquet tincidunt.</p>
        </article>
    <?php
        if(isset($_GET["comments"]) && $_GET["comments"] == "show"){
            include 'comments.php';
        }
    ?>
    </body>
</html>
And in the file 'comments.php', it would return the HTML script for the comment section (which were probably fetch from a database).
Interesting! Thanks! So basically I need to learn PHP

Last edited by a moderator:
kolleamm said:
Not really. This page for example, whenever somebody posts a reply it stays on the page even if someone refreshes it, that's what I'm trying to accomplish, make a permanent change to a page on my website.
Nothing is permanent, but yes you are looking to insert information into a database via a server side language, storing it in the database and then retrieving it with again the server side language.

Likes kolleamm
kolleamm said:
PHP is one of many options

Likes kolleamm
kolleamm said:
Yes. It is not the only option, but nearly everything more advanced than a static plain web page with some text uses PHP in some way. This forum uses PHP on every page you can access and a database to store everything (user data, threads, posts, ...).

Likes kolleamm

1. How do I add an element inside a div using HTML?

To add an element inside a div using HTML, you can use the innerHTML property. This property allows you to set the HTML content inside an element. For example, if you have a div with an id of "myDiv", you can use the following code to add a paragraph element inside it:

document.getElementById("myDiv").innerHTML = "<p> This is a new paragraph element</p>";

This will add the paragraph element with the specified content inside the div.

2. How can I delete an element inside a div using HTML?

You can delete an element inside a div using the removeChild() method. This method allows you to remove a specific child element from a parent element. For example, if you have a div with an id of "myDiv" and you want to delete the first paragraph element inside it, you can use the following code:

var div = document.getElementById("myDiv");
var p = div.getElementsByTagName("p")[0];
div.removeChild(p);

This will remove the first paragraph element inside the div.

3. Can I add or delete multiple elements inside a div using HTML?

Yes, you can add or delete multiple elements inside a div using HTML. To add multiple elements, you can use the innerHTML property and set it to a string of HTML elements. To delete multiple elements, you can use a loop to iterate through the child elements of the div and use the removeChild() method to remove each element.

4. Is it possible to add or delete elements inside a div using HTML only?

Yes, it is possible to add or delete elements inside a div using HTML only. However, it is recommended to use a combination of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript for better control and functionality. HTML provides the structure, CSS for styling, and JavaScript for dynamic interactions and manipulations.

5. Are there any other methods for adding or deleting elements inside a div besides innerHTML and removeChild?

Yes, there are other methods for adding or deleting elements inside a div besides innerHTML and removeChild(). Some other methods include insertBefore(), appendChild(), and replaceChild(). These methods provide more flexibility and control when adding or deleting elements. It is recommended to research and understand these methods before implementing them in your code.