Hubble's Law of Redshifts using observed distances

In summary: Your name].In summary, the equation Vr=H0*r shows that the radial velocity of galaxies is directly proportional to their distance from us. When observing the distances of galaxies, we see a curve that is shifted downwards compared to the graph of present distances and radial velocities, with a steeper slope due to the smaller observed distances.
Case_Files
Moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing
The problem statement, all variables, and given/known data:

Assume that the radial velocities vr of galaxies, at the present time, are given by Vr=H0*r, where H0 = 65 km/(s*Mpc). However, we do not observe the present distances of galaxies, but the distances they had when light left them.

Plot the relation between radial velocity and distance that would be obtained directly from observations (i.e. the relation corresponding to measured distances, not present distances). Consider several values of distance, up to 2x109 pc. Comment briefly on the shape of your curve.

relevant equations:

Vr=H0*r

attempt at a solution:

I'm familiar with the shape of the graph showing Hubble's Constant, how radial velocity is proportional to the distance of the galaxy. I also understand, I think, that radial velocity is equal to the redshift z times c. What I'm really lost on is applying that to this question. We have a redshift -> recessional velocity because the galaxies are moving away, and that velocity/redshift is proportional to how far away that galaxy currently is. But I don't understand how this would change the relationship between the values/ the shape of the graph if we consider the measured/observed distances instead of their actual distances.

I'm not looking for someone to draw the graph for me, just to maybe help explain the question a little better and help me understand the information behind the answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. It seems like you have a good understanding of the concept of radial velocity and how it is related to the redshift of galaxies. To answer your question about the shape of the graph, let's first consider the equation Vr=H0*r. This equation tells us that the radial velocity of a galaxy is directly proportional to its distance from us (r). In other words, the farther away a galaxy is, the faster it is moving away from us.

Now, when we observe the distances of galaxies, we are actually seeing the distances they had when the light left them, not their present distances. This means that the distances we observe are actually smaller than the present distances. So, if we plot the observed distances on the x-axis and the corresponding radial velocities on the y-axis, we would see a curve that is shifted downwards compared to the graph of present distances and radial velocities.

The shape of this curve would still be a straight line, but it would have a steeper slope compared to the graph of present distances and radial velocities. This is because the observed distances are smaller than the present distances, so the radial velocities would be higher for the same observed distance.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the concept better. Feel free to ask any further questions if you have them.

What is Hubble's Law of Redshifts?

Hubble's Law of Redshifts is a fundamental principle in astronomy that states that the farther away a galaxy is from Earth, the faster it is moving away from us. This is based on the observation that light from distant galaxies is shifted towards the red end of the spectrum, indicating that they are moving away from us.

How is Hubble's Law of Redshifts used to determine distances?

Hubble's Law of Redshifts is used in conjunction with the observed redshift of a galaxy to determine its distance from Earth. By measuring the amount of redshift in the light from a galaxy, scientists can calculate its velocity and use that to estimate its distance from Earth.

What is the significance of Hubble's Law of Redshifts in understanding the universe?

Hubble's Law of Redshifts is significant because it provides evidence for the expansion of the universe. This expansion was first predicted by Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity, and Hubble's observations confirmed it. It also allows scientists to study the rate of expansion and better understand the origins and evolution of the universe.

Is Hubble's Law of Redshifts applicable to all galaxies?

Hubble's Law of Redshifts is applicable to most galaxies, however, there are some exceptions. Galaxies that are relatively close to Earth, within about 100 million light-years, do not follow the law as they are influenced by other factors such as gravitational interactions with nearby galaxies. Additionally, galaxies that are moving towards Earth will have a blue shift rather than a redshift.

How has Hubble's Law of Redshifts changed our understanding of the universe?

Hubble's Law of Redshifts has significantly changed our understanding of the universe by providing evidence for the expansion of the universe and the Big Bang theory. It also allows scientists to estimate the age of the universe and the rate at which it is expanding. This law has been crucial in the development of modern cosmology and our understanding of the origins and evolution of the universe.