Hudson River accident. Friction on water

In summary, the student is working on an analysis of the Hudson River incident for an introductory physics course. They are trying to determine the force of friction on the aircraft, but are having trouble finding equations and properties for liquid friction. The student has provided some information, including the weight and speed of the aircraft, as well as the time it took to come to a stop. However, they are unsure of how to proceed and are seeking guidance. The expert explains that the resistive force of water is called drag and is different from solid-solid friction. They suggest looking into drag equations and clarify that there is no coefficient of friction for liquid friction.
MikeyMike

Homework Statement

I am in an introductory physics course. I am an aviation student, and we have to present on something related to our major. My group decided to go with an analysis on the Hudson River incident.

I am trying to figure out the force of friction the water had on the aircraft. What I do have
1) Airbus A320 Max Takeoff weight is 73500kg. The aircraft incident was only a few minutes after takeoff so we can use this number
2) The speed of the aircraft right before contact with the water is about 67 meters per second.
3) The aircraft moved along the water for about 5 seconds before coming to a complete stop. If my math was correct, this gave the aircraft an acceleration of about -13.4m/s^2 Southbound
(The distance traveled across the water is unknown)

Homework Equations

This is one of the problems I am having. I can only find equations and friction properties for solid on solid. This is where I need help.

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at the solution is what was posted above. Again, were going ahead of ourselves with this one and I'm hoping one of you can at least point me in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
The resistive force that water exerts is called drag, not friction. Friction occurs between two solid objects, and water being a liquid, behaves differently. You would be able to calculate the resistive force that water put on the plane, but there isn't a coefficient of friction to find.

Confusingly, drag on the surface of a liquid is sometimes called 'skin friction' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasitic_drag#Skin_friction).
The principal difference between that and solid-solid friction is that the latter is (generally) taken to be independent of speed, whereas drag/skin friction almost surely is not.

1. What caused the Hudson River accident?

The Hudson River accident was caused by a combination of factors, including human error, mechanical failure, and adverse weather conditions. The primary cause was determined to be the failure of the ship's engines, which resulted in the loss of control and subsequent collision.

2. How does friction on water affect a ship's movement?

Friction on water can significantly affect a ship's movement by creating resistance and slowing down the vessel. This is especially true in adverse weather conditions, where high winds and rough seas can increase the amount of friction on the ship's hull, making it more difficult to navigate and control.

3. Can friction on water be reduced?

Yes, there are various ways to reduce friction on water for ships. One method is by using specialized coatings on the hull that reduce drag and improve the ship's efficiency. Another way is by designing the ship with a more streamlined shape to minimize resistance and increase speed.

4. How does friction on water differ from friction on land?

The main difference between friction on water and land is the medium in which it occurs. Friction on land is caused by the contact between two solid surfaces, whereas friction on water is caused by the resistance between a solid object (such as a ship) and the liquid surface of the water. Additionally, friction on water is affected by factors such as surface tension and buoyancy, which are not present on land.

5. Can friction on water lead to accidents?

Yes, friction on water can lead to accidents, especially for larger vessels such as ships. As mentioned earlier, friction on water can slow down a ship's movement, making it more difficult to navigate and control. This can be particularly dangerous in situations where quick and precise maneuvering is necessary, such as during an emergency or in crowded waterways.