Can Temperature Changes Alter Humidity in a Completely Filled Closed System?

In summary: So I am left with the question, what do you mean by "volume of the air is completely filled with water"? Water droplets of various sizes suspended in the air?In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between humidity and temperature in a closed system. It is mentioned that isobaric heating decreases humidity while isothermal compression increases it. However, when starting with a volume completely filled with humid air, any increase in temperature must also increase the pressure, making it seem like there is no way to decrease humidity in such a system. However, it is clarified that this only applies to absolute humidity, as relative humidity can decrease with temperature. It is also noted that the pressure can decrease with a decrease in temperature, causing water to cond
G Cooke
We know that for a closed system, isobaric heating decreases the humidity and isothermal compression increases the humidity. But assuming that we start with the volume completely filled with humid air, is it not true that any increase in temperature must also increase the pressure? If so, doesn't that imply that there is no change in temperature that could possibly decrease the humidity of such a system? Doesn't that then imply that there is no way to decrease the humidity of such a system? Of course, no molecules are entering or leaving, and the pressure cannot decrease since it starts with the volume completely filled, right? So I think that exhausts everything.

Physics news on Phys.org
G Cooke said:
... assuming that we start with the volume completely filled with humid air, is it not true that any increase in temperature must also increase the pressure?

Certainly ... humid or not , any temp increase will increase the pressure ... if no liquid water in the system the pressure increase must be less, but still increases.

G Cooke said:
.If so, doesn't that imply that there is no change in temperature that could possibly decrease the humidity of such a system? Doesn't that then imply that there is no way to decrease the humidity of such a system? .

Depends how you measure humidity ...relative humidity , is a % and compares to the total saturation possible at a particular temp. ... so any temp increase will decrease relative humidity .

Absolute humidity is a measure of mass of water per cubic meter of air , this will never change unless the total volume changes.

Likes G Cooke
G Cooke said:
... But assuming that we start with the volume completely filled with humid air, is it not true that any increase in temperature must also increase the pressure?
Not if the volume is allowed to increase. That would be the isobaric heating you mention first. However we can certainly consider the case where the volume is fixed and the pressure increases with temperature if you like.

G Cooke said:
If so, doesn't that imply that there is no change in temperature that could possibly decrease the humidity of such a system?[\QUOTE]

Well first, just to be sure, I think you are talking about absolute humidity, right? Absolute humidity is the amount of water vapor per unit volume. In your closed system the amount of water is fixed, so the absolute humidity will change if the volume changes or some water condenses out. As I said the volume could change lowering the humidity. An example would be the isobaric heating you already indicated would lower the humidity. So for arguments sake let's say we are talking about a fixed volume, in which case, ok, heating it won't change the humidity. However cooling it certainly can change the humidity. Your premise ("completely filled with humid air") isn't completely clear, but let's take that to mean 100% relative humidity. This would mean that any amount of cooling will condense water and lower the humidity. (Water in droplets on the wall don't count in the definition of humidity). We don't have to assume 100% relative humidity. How much water vapor just changes at what temperature the water starts condensing out.

G Cooke said:
Doesn't that then imply that there is no way to decrease the humidity of such a system? Of course, no molecules are entering or leaving, and the pressure cannot decrease since it starts with the volume completely filled, right? So I think that exhausts everything.

The pressure can and will decrease if you lower the temperature at constant volume. (Ideal gas law: P V = n R T). Water will condense out if you lower the temperature enough changing the humidity.

Likes G Cooke
Cutter Ketch said:
Well first, just to be sure, I think you are talking about absolute humidity, right?
Well, I want to refer to humidity as it contributes to the conductivity of the air...which I think would be the absolute humidity since that measures it in g/m^3 rather than a percentage which doesn't necessarily mean anything electrically. That's just my logic though.
Cutter Ketch said:
Your premise ("completely filled with humid air") isn't completely clear, but let's take that to mean 100% relative humidity.
Well no, what I meant by that was that the entire volume of the closed system is filled with the air, which happens to be humid (enough to conduct electricity given some electric field), not that the volume of the air is completely filled with water. So the volume cannot increase then, since it starts already at its maximum.

So perhaps your answer will now change.

Last edited:
G Cooke said:
Well, I want to refer to humidity as it contributes to the conductivity of the air...which I think would be the absolute humidity since that measures it in g/m^3 rather than a percentage which doesn't necessarily mean anything electrically. That's just my logic though.

Well no, what I meant by that was that the entire volume of the closed system is filled with the air, which happens to be humid (enough to conduct electricity given some electric field), not that the volume of the air is completely filled with water. So the volume cannot increase then, since it starts already at its maximum.

So perhaps your answer will now change.

Air being a gas always fills the available volume. However gasses are compressible, so you can always stuff in more air (well, at least until you reach the vapor pressure of Oxygen or the vessel bursts).

1. What is humidity in a closed system?

Humidity in a closed system refers to the amount of water vapor present in a confined space, such as a sealed container or room. It is a measure of the moisture content in the air and is typically expressed as a percentage.

2. Why is humidity in a closed system important to monitor?

Monitoring humidity in a closed system is important for several reasons. It can affect the stability and lifespan of certain products, such as medications or electronic devices. It can also impact the comfort and health of occupants in a closed space, as high humidity levels can lead to mold growth and respiratory issues.

3. How does humidity in a closed system change over time?

The humidity in a closed system can change over time due to various factors, including temperature fluctuations, ventilation, and the presence of moisture sources. For example, if a closed room is heated, the relative humidity will decrease as the air can hold more moisture at higher temperatures.

4. What is the ideal humidity level for a closed system?

The ideal humidity level for a closed system depends on the specific application and the desired outcome. In general, a relative humidity range of 40-60% is considered comfortable for human occupants, while certain products may require a lower or higher humidity level for optimal storage conditions.

5. How can I control humidity in a closed system?

There are several ways to control humidity in a closed system, including the use of dehumidifiers, ventilation systems, and desiccants. It is also important to identify and address any potential sources of moisture, such as leaks or high humidity environments nearby. Regular monitoring and maintenance are key to effectively controlling humidity in a closed system.