How Is Huygens' Principle Derived from Basic Wave and Maxwell's Equations?

In summary, the Huygens-Fresnel principle is a way to characterize the wave in many circumstances. It's more essential for people who want to know more about light, but it can be difficult to understand. The principle is found in the diffraction of light, and is also explained in Claude's book, "A Briefer History of Time."
ibc
Hello

Does anyone know where can I find a derivation (or approximation) for Huygens principle from more "basic" principles? (i.e from the wave equation and\or Maxwell's equations)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess you need Huygens-Fresnel principle.It's more essential,but I find it also a little hard to get through,expecially the math part

And where can I find that math part?

My mother tongue is not English,so I don't know where can you find it.
The only thing I know is that Huygens-Fresnel principle is in the diffraction part of light.I guess any optical book would include this.

I really have no idea what you're talking about (nor what it has to do with anybody's native tongue).
The Huygens-Fresnel principle is not just an expression to the diffraction of light, it's a way to characterize the wave in many circumstances.
What I'm looking for is the derivation for the principle from more basic ones.

ibc said:
I really have no idea what you're talking about (nor what it has to do with anybody's native tongue).
The Huygens-Fresnel principle is not just an expression to the diffraction of light, it's a way to characterize the wave in many circumstances.
What I'm looking for is the derivation for the principle from more basic ones.

You asked where you could find it, mensa said he/she doesn't know because the place that he learned it from wasn't in english. Would you be satisfied if they referred you to a book in chinese if you had no knowledge of the chinese language?I believe it is more of an assumption, assume it is true and see what happens, then it agrees with experiment*. *I believe there are problems with the wavelets that make the approach not very logical. For instance, if everywhere along the wavefront it outputs spherical wavelets and that is what generates the other wavefronts, but what about the waves going backwards? They would generate new wavefronts on the back side of the existing wavefront and those would generate others, etc. So you are only really talking about the forward moving spherical part, which then seems arbitrary.

I'm sorry for not letting you get through,perhaps it's because my poor English.And thank you,Prologue,for the explanation.
I totally agree with Prologue's idea.What's more,I guess the book "A Briefer History Of Time" would help a lot,if have a lot of time to read it...In my mind Huygens-Fresnel Principle has lots to do with Quantum Theory,which allows light to travel in curve other than straight line.
I'm not sure if I am right or not,but I hope my words can help you.

The Huygens-Fresnel principle can be thought of as taking a source (i.e. a wavefront) and dividing it up into an infinite number of point sources. So given a series of point sources you need two things to describe the evolution of a wavefront in time;

- Wave propagation (as defined by Maxwell's equations for an EM wave). This allows you to calculate the evolution of the wavelets.
- Superposition. This allows you to sum the wavelets to obtain your final wavefront, which is done via integration since there are an infinite number of them.

Does this answer your question ibc?

Claude.

1. What is Huygens principle for waves?

Huygens principle is a principle in physics that describes how a wavefront propagates through a medium. It states that every point on a wavefront acts as a source of secondary spherical wavelets, and the sum of these wavelets determines the new position of the wavefront.

2. Who proposed Huygens principle?

Huygens principle was proposed by Dutch mathematician and physicist Christiaan Huygens in the 17th century. He first published his theory in his book "Traité de la Lumière" (Treatise on Light) in 1690.

3. How is Huygens principle used in wave optics?

In wave optics, Huygens principle is used to explain the diffraction and interference of light. It helps to understand how light waves propagate and how they interact with obstacles and other waves. It also forms the basis for the construction of Huygens' wavelets, which are used to calculate the intensity and direction of light waves.

4. What are the limitations of Huygens principle?

While Huygens principle is a useful tool in understanding wave propagation, it has some limitations. It does not account for the polarization of light, and it assumes that all points on a wavefront are in phase. Additionally, it does not take into account the effects of diffraction at small scales.

5. How does Huygens principle relate to the law of reflection and refraction?

Huygens principle provides a geometric explanation for the law of reflection and refraction. It states that each point on a wavefront acts as a secondary source, and the sum of these secondary waves determines the new position of the wavefront. This helps to explain the change in direction of a wave when it encounters a boundary between two media with different refractive indices.