Hydrate Lab Help? PLEASE? DUETMRW><

• Thread starter PrincessBoa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lab
In summary, the student is asking for help with two questions from a lab they did not do with their group. They are looking for someone to explain the answers to them or help them with the questions.
PrincessBoa

Homework Statement

Okay so I received this lab called Determining the Chemical Formula of a Hydrate, but I was not there to do it with my group..but I still had to answer these two questions. I was wondering if someone could help me answer them? >< Or explain?! ><

CuSO4 . xH2O

Materials:
400ml Beaker
tongs
scoopula
electronic balance
hot pad
3 g to 5 g hydrated copper sulfate

QUESTIONS I NEED HELP ON

8. Suppose the hydrate was heated too quickly and some of it was lost as it spattered out of the container. Explain how this would affect

a) The calculated percent by mass of water in the compound. Does the mass/percent increase? What?!

b) The molecular formula you determined..CuSO4 5H20? O_O

9) Suggest a source of errot that would result in a value of x that is

a) higher than the actual value (How would it affect...like...a negative or something in the value of X? )
b) lower than the actual value.

PLEASE AND THANK YOU! I need a reply please by tomorrow? ): ITS DUE THEN

THANKS

-PrincessBoa

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the formulas used for calculation. Some of them will be in the form of fraction. What happens when numerator is too big? Too smal? What in the case of denominator?

I still sort of don't get it...o-o..\\

8. a) If the hydrate was heated too quickly, and some of it was lost or was splattered out of the container, this would drive out the water only leaving behind the copper sulfate anydrate CuSo4, which is white in color. This would decrease the calculated percent by mass of water in the compound.
b) The molecular formula would be CuSO4.
9) a) The source of error that would result in a value of x when it is higher than the actual value would be the copper sulfate would be too high, resulting in escaping water.
b) There would be too little water, not resulting in the proper equation which is CuSO4 . 5H20
?

HELP? ><

Likes ScienceAnn

1. What is a hydrate lab?

A hydrate lab is a laboratory experiment that involves studying the properties and behavior of hydrates, which are chemical compounds that contain water molecules within their crystal structures.

2. Why is a hydrate lab important?

A hydrate lab is important because it helps scientists understand the structure, properties, and behavior of hydrates, which are commonly found in nature and have various industrial and commercial applications.

3. What are the steps involved in a hydrate lab?

The steps involved in a hydrate lab typically include preparing the materials, measuring and recording data, conducting experiments, analyzing results, and drawing conclusions based on the data collected.

4. How can I prepare for a hydrate lab?

To prepare for a hydrate lab, it is important to familiarize yourself with the experiment's objectives, materials, and procedures. You should also make sure you have all necessary equipment and safety precautions in place.

5. What are some common challenges in a hydrate lab?

Some common challenges in a hydrate lab include accurately measuring and recording data, controlling variables, and dealing with unexpected results. It is important to carefully follow procedures and troubleshoot any issues that may arise during the experiment.