Hydraulic gear pump ports and line sizing

In summary, when choosing between two gear pumps with different inlet port sizes, it is important to consider the sizing of the suction line in order to ensure proper flow and operation.
grandnat_6
I am between selecting two gear pumps. One with .25 cu in at 2000 RPM or .38 cu in at 2000 RPM. In order for .25 cu into get the right flow, I will need to increase the speed to 3000 RPM. Gotta belt drive it either way. I have sized up a suction line of 7/8" I.D. that will get me a velocity of 1.76 ft/sec.

The inlet port on the .25 pump is a SAE 8 otherwise for a (8/16) 1/2" line. The pump with the .38 has a SAE 10 inlet port other wise (10/16) 5/8" port.

Because the inlet port size is smaller that the suction line; does running the larger suction line defeat the purpose of sizing the larger line to fit the rule of thumb that a suction line shouldn't go over a velocity of 4ft/sec? It seems like the port size in either pump has defeated itself for the 4ft/sec max velocity for a suction line...

Interested in members thoughts.

Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, running a larger suction line than the inlet port size of the pump can indeed defeat the purpose of sizing the line to fit the rule of thumb that a suction line shouldn't go over a velocity of 4ft/sec. The larger suction line would cause the velocity to be lower than the 4ft/sec limit, which is not ideal for proper operation of the pump. In this situation, you may need to consider using a different pump with a larger inlet port size that is better matched to the size of the suction line.

1. What are the different types of ports used in hydraulic gear pumps?

The two main types of ports used in hydraulic gear pumps are inlet ports and outlet ports. The inlet ports bring in hydraulic fluid from the reservoir into the pump, while the outlet ports carry the pressurized fluid out of the pump to the rest of the hydraulic system.

2. How do I determine the size of the ports for my hydraulic gear pump?

The size of the ports for a hydraulic gear pump is determined by the flow rate and pressure requirements of the system. The flow rate is measured in gallons per minute (GPM) and the pressure is measured in pounds per square inch (PSI). It is important to choose ports that are large enough to handle the required flow rate and pressure to avoid damage to the pump and the rest of the system.

3. Can I use different sized ports for the inlet and outlet of my hydraulic gear pump?

Yes, it is possible to use different sized ports for the inlet and outlet of a hydraulic gear pump. However, it is important to ensure that the difference in size does not cause any flow restrictions or pressure imbalances in the system.

4. What is the purpose of line sizing in a hydraulic gear pump system?

Line sizing is important in a hydraulic gear pump system to ensure that the pressure and flow requirements of the system are met. If the lines are too small, it can cause flow restrictions and pressure drops, while lines that are too large can lead to excessive fluid velocities and potential damage to the system.

5. How do I calculate the line size for my hydraulic gear pump system?

The line size for a hydraulic gear pump system can be calculated by considering the required flow rate, pressure, and length of the hydraulic lines. As a general rule, the diameter of the line should be at least three times the size of the largest particle in the fluid to avoid clogging or blockages. It is recommended to consult a hydraulic engineer for accurate line sizing calculations.