Hydraulic resistor as a constriction in a pipe

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a hydraulic analogy to explain the concept of current being constant in a series connection. However, there are complications in using this analogy, such as the difficulty in explaining pressure drop in relation to voltage drop. The conversation also touches on the limitations of analogies and the complexities of fluid mechanics.
etotheipi
Earlier I was trying to explain to one of my siblings why current is constant in a series connection (invoking that if it weren't we would have an accumulation of charge, etc.), however to give a more intuitive picture I tried to describe the hydraulic model of electric circuits, representing a resistor as a constriction in a pipe. The analogues of potential and current were fluid pressure and flow rate respectively.

However, on the spot I couldn't come up with a satisfactory explanation for the pressure (i.e. voltage) drop. If it is to behave like it's electrical analogue, we would expect a permanent drop in fluid pressure between both ends of the constriction. Yet as far as I am aware, if the cross-sectional areas of the pipe are equal before and after the constriction (and if we ignore changes in height), by Bernoulli's principle the pressures before and after the constriction should also be equal!

I reasoned that "turbulence effects" would result in the pressure drop, however this on its own doesn't lend itself particularly nicely to a neat calculation of the size of the pressure drop. I was wondering if I am on the right track here?

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is one reason why the hydraulic analogy is so pointless to me. Fluid mechanics is much more complicated than circuits. I don’t like analogies that are more complicated than the thing they are explaining.

The derivation of Bernoulli’s principle assumes no losses due to friction, turbulence, or heat.

Likes berkeman and etotheipi
I hesitate to promote the hydraulic analogy, but viscosity with laminar flow gives a nice predictable pressure drop according to Poiseuille's law.

[Of course, Poiseuille's law itself has no electrical analogue. To my knowledge, charge flow is not viscous]

• Informative
Likes etotheipi
yes there are pressure losses called variously shock, form, or unrecoverable losses. there are tables of values for standard fittings (elbows, tees, etc.) and valves. valve manufacturers will give this info in the form of Cv values.

Both @jbriggs444 and @gmax137 helped to prove @Dale 's point. Analogies are supposed to be simpler. If they aren't simpler, they make very poor teaching tools.

Likes Dale

1. What is a hydraulic resistor?

A hydraulic resistor is a device used in fluid systems to regulate the flow of liquid through a pipe. It works by creating a constriction in the pipe, which creates resistance and slows down the flow of the liquid.

2. How does a hydraulic resistor work?

A hydraulic resistor works by creating a constriction in the pipe, which causes the fluid to flow through a smaller area and increases the velocity of the fluid. This increased velocity creates more resistance, which slows down the overall flow rate of the liquid.

3. What are the benefits of using a hydraulic resistor?

Hydraulic resistors are commonly used in fluid systems because they provide a simple and effective way to regulate the flow of liquid. They can also be used to control pressure and prevent damage to equipment by limiting the flow rate. Additionally, they are relatively inexpensive and easy to install.

4. Can a hydraulic resistor be adjusted?

Yes, hydraulic resistors can be adjusted to control the amount of resistance and therefore, the flow rate of the liquid. This can be done by changing the size of the constriction or by using a valve to regulate the flow.

5. What types of systems use hydraulic resistors?

Hydraulic resistors are commonly used in a variety of systems, including hydraulic systems in machinery and vehicles, plumbing systems, and industrial processes. They are also used in heating and cooling systems to regulate the flow of water and other fluids.