Hydrocyclones- Calculation steps and separation results

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of hydrocyclones in extracting small metallic particles from a closed loop water system. The book "Chemical Engineering Design" by Richardson provides equations to calculate the effectiveness of the hydrocyclone based on its properties and water flow. The value for d_50 is calculated to be 7.3 micrometers, which means the hydrocyclone is 50% efficient in capturing particles of this size. The diagram in the book shows that for larger particles (200 micrometers), the estimated efficiency is over 99.8%. The effectiveness may decrease with larger particles, as seen in example 10.2. The individual seeking clarification on this topic concludes that they have understood correctly and just wanted to
MMImpel
TL;DR Summary
Help understanding hydrocyclones and a simple calculation using an empirical equation by Bradley
Hello,

I want to see if hydrocyclones can be used in a application, where we have small metall particles that we want to extract from a closed loop water system. I found a book "Chemical Engineering Design" written by Richardson, where there are some equations given that makes it possible to calculate the effectiveness of the hydrocyclone dependent on the hydrocyclones and the water flow properties. I have used eq (10.3)

1676374383409.png

The following in-data are used
1676374436323.png

This gives me a value for the d_50 = 7,3 micrometer.
Firstly; what does this actually mean, will the hydrocyclone capture 50 % of the particles of the d_50 size what about if they are larger or smaller? Is it possible to determine how effective the hydrocyclone will be if the particles for instance have a d = 200 micrometers ?

Attachments

• 1676374406495.png
    1676374406495.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 97
Engineering news on Phys.org
MMImpel said:
Firstly; what does this actually mean, will the hydrocyclone capture 50 % of the particles of the d_50 size what about if they are larger or smaller?
If I turn the page after equation 10.3, I read: ##d_{50} =## the particle diameter for which the cyclone is 50 per cent efficient, ##\mu##m

Meaning half go over the top and the remainder over the bottom.

The diagram Fig. 10.22 just above allows you to estimate the efficiency for 200 ##\mu##m particles for a cyclone with ##d_{50} = 10 ## (that's the lowest value on the left). WIth 200 ##\mu##m the highest value on the middle axis, the estimated efficiency on the rightmost axis is way off scale, so over 99.8 %.

Read carefully, work out the example 10.2 to understand what's what.

##\ ##

Likes MMImpel
Thank you, I came to the same conclusion but was worried that I missunderstood that the effectiveness might get lower with larger particles?
Since this is really out of my comfort-zone I felt the need to double-check.

Best regards!

Likes BvU

What is a hydrocyclone and how does it work?

A hydrocyclone is a type of equipment used for separating particles from a liquid mixture. It works by creating a vortex flow inside the cyclone, which causes the heavier particles to move towards the outer wall and the lighter particles to move towards the center.

What are the steps involved in calculating the efficiency of a hydrocyclone?

The steps involved in calculating the efficiency of a hydrocyclone include determining the feed flow rate, determining the cut point size, measuring the underflow and overflow flow rates, and using these values to calculate the separation efficiency using a specific formula.

How do you optimize the performance of a hydrocyclone?

To optimize the performance of a hydrocyclone, you can adjust the feed flow rate, change the hydrocyclone's dimensions, or modify the inlet and outlet conditions. Additionally, regularly cleaning and maintaining the hydrocyclone can also improve its performance.

What factors can affect the separation results of a hydrocyclone?

The separation results of a hydrocyclone can be affected by factors such as the feed flow rate, the density and size of the particles, the design and dimensions of the hydrocyclone, and the operating conditions (e.g. inlet pressure, flow rate, etc.). Other external factors such as temperature and viscosity of the liquid mixture can also have an impact.

How do you interpret the separation results of a hydrocyclone?

The separation results of a hydrocyclone can be interpreted by looking at the efficiency of the separation, which is typically expressed as a percentage. A higher efficiency indicates a better separation of particles from the liquid mixture. Additionally, the cut point size, which is the particle size at which the separation efficiency is 50%, can also be used to interpret the results.