Hydrogen atom. state after L_z measurement

In summary, an initial state is given, an L_z measurement is performed, and the appropriate form for the ket right after the measurement is found to be a {\lvert {100} \rangle} + {\lvert {210} \rangle}
Peeter

Homework Statement

An initial state is given:

[tex]{\lvert {\psi(0)} \rangle} = \frac{1}{{\sqrt{3}}} \left( {\lvert {100} \rangle} + {\lvert {210} \rangle} + {\lvert {211} \rangle}\right) [/tex]

An [itex]L_z[/itex] measurement is performed with outcome 0 at time t_0. What is the appropriate form for the ket [itex]{\lvert {\psi_{\text{after}}(t_0)} \rangle}[/itex] right after the measurement?

Homework Equations

[tex] t_0 = \frac{4 \pi \hbar }{E_I} [/tex]
[tex] E_n = - E_I/n^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For the evolved state at this time [itex]t_0[/itex] (specially picked so that the numbers work out nicely) I get:

[tex]{\lvert {\psi(t_0)} \rangle} = \frac{1}{{\sqrt{3}}} \left( e^{-i2\pi i/3} {\lvert {100} \rangle} + e^{i\pi i/3} ({\lvert {210} \rangle} + {\lvert {211} \rangle} )\right).[/tex]

A zero measurement means that we've measured an [itex]L_z[/itex] eigenvalue of [itex]m \hbar = 0[/itex], or [itex]m = 0[/itex], so we can only have states

[tex]{\lvert {\psi_{\text{after}}(t_0)} \rangle} = a {\lvert {100} \rangle} + b {\lvert {210} \rangle} [/tex]

There are multiple m=0 states in the t_0 pre-[itex]L_z[/itex] ket, so I don't think that we can know any more about the distribution of those states after the [itex]L_z[/itex] measurement. Other than [itex]{\left\lvert{a}\right\rvert}^2 + {\left\lvert{b}\right\rvert}^2 = 1[/itex], can we say anything more about this post [itex]L_z[/itex] measurement state?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure you can. The ratios of the coefficients of the two m=0 states remain the same, they just get "re-normalized" to satisfy |a|2 + |b|2 = 1.

If you prefer to think about it a little more quantitatively, the effect of this measurement on your quantum state is equivalent to applying the projection operator
[tex]P = \sum_{n,l}\lvert nl0\rangle\langle nl0\rvert[/tex]

Thanks a lot! Measurement as a projection operator is a helpful way to think about this type of question (have state, measure alternate operator). That also verifies an answer that I arrived at mostly by intuition on a different practice question.

Related to Hydrogen atom. state after L_z measurement

1. What is the significance of measuring L_z in a Hydrogen atom?

In a Hydrogen atom, L_z represents the angular momentum of the electron in the atom. Measuring L_z allows scientists to understand the orientation of the electron's orbit around the nucleus, which is important for understanding the atom's overall structure and behavior.

2. How is L_z measured in a Hydrogen atom?

L_z is measured using a technique called spectroscopy, which involves shining a beam of light onto the atom and analyzing the wavelengths of light that are absorbed or emitted. The specific wavelengths that are observed can reveal information about the orientation of the electron's orbit and therefore the value of L_z.

3. What are the possible outcomes of measuring L_z in a Hydrogen atom?

After measuring L_z, there are two possible outcomes: the electron's angular momentum can be found to be either positive or negative. This corresponds to the electron orbiting in a counterclockwise or clockwise direction around the nucleus, respectively.

4. How does L_z measurement affect the state of the Hydrogen atom?

The act of measuring L_z in a Hydrogen atom causes the atom's state to collapse into one of the two possible outcomes. This means that the atom will now be in a specific orbital state and will behave accordingly.

5. Can L_z be measured simultaneously with other properties of the Hydrogen atom?

No, L_z cannot be measured simultaneously with other properties of the atom, such as its position or momentum. This is due to the uncertainty principle, which states that certain pairs of properties, such as position and momentum, cannot be known simultaneously with absolute precision.