Hydrogen Ionization Rates Using Time Dependent Perturbation

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the rate of ionization of a hydrogen atom in the 2p state in a monochromatic external electric field, taking into account the component of angular momentum in the direction of the field and ignoring spin. The free particle wave function is used to set up the integral with the perturbed Hamiltonian and the 2p wave function, and the calculation involves averaging over the different values of m for orbital angular momentum. The spherical harmonic portion of the 2p wave function cannot be ignored, and the final result is obtained by calculating and averaging the rates for each value of m.
ianmgull

Homework Statement

[/B]
Calculate the rate of ionization of a hydrogen atom in the 2p state in a monochromatic external electric field, averaged over the component of angular momentum in the direction of the field. Ignore the spin of the particles. In this case we can write:
[tex] H'(t)=-eEx_3exp(-i\omega t) -eE^*x_3exp(i\omega t)[/tex]
assuming that the electric field E is in the x3 direction.

Homework Equations

The 2p hydrogen wave function: [itex] \psi_{2p}=\frac{1}{2 \sqrt{6}a^{5/2}}re^{\frac{-r}{2a}} Y_1^m[/itex]
The wave function of a free particle: [itex] \psi_f=\frac{1}{(2 \pi a)^{3/2}} e^{ik \cdot x}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the magnitude squared of the following relation will give me the probability of a transition:
[tex] \frac{dc_{2p}}{dt} = \frac{-i}{\hbar} H'_{(2p,e)}e^{-i \omega_0 t}c_f [/tex]
where [itex] \omega_0=\frac{E_f-E_{2p}}{\hbar}[/itex] and [itex] H'_{(2p,e)}= <\psi_{2p}|H'|\psi_f>[/itex].

My problem at this point is to set up the integral with the perturbed Hamiltonian and the two wave functions. I feel like I'm doing something wrong because I'm integrating with respect to x, but the 2p wave function is in terms of r. I don't know if I should be using a 3d version of the free particle or not.

Also, I'm not sure what is meant by "averaged over the component of angular momentum in the direction of the field" but it sounds like it's relevant to my first concern.

Finally, does "Ignore the spin of the particles" mean I can ignore the spherical harmonic portion of the 2p wave function? If not, how do I choose which value of m (-1, 0, 1) to use.

Thanks,

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
ianmgull said:
The wave function of a free particle: [itex] \psi_f=\frac{1}{(2 \pi a)^{3/2}} e^{ik \cdot x}[/itex]
I don't understand the normalization constant here.

I don't know if I should be using a 3d version of the free particle or not.
Yes, your free particle wavefunction will be proportional to ##e^{ i \bf k \cdot \bf r}##, where ##\bf k## and ##\bf r## are 3D vectors. There is a well-known expansion of this function in terms of spherical harmonics that you can use in this problem.

Also, I'm not sure what is meant by "averaged over the component of angular momentum in the direction of the field" but it sounds like it's relevant to my first concern.
The different components of angular momentum refer to the different values of ##m## for ##l = 1##. States with different ##m## can have different ionization rates. They want you to take the average of the rates for the three ##m## values corresponding to ##l = 1##.

Finally, does "Ignore the spin of the particles" mean I can ignore the spherical harmonic portion of the 2p wave function?
No. The spherical harmonics correspond to orbital angular momentum, not spin angular momentum. So, you can't ignore them. Ignoring spin means that you can work with the wavefunctions ##\psi_{2p}## as you wrote them and you don't need to include any additional spin part of the wavefunction.

If not, how do I choose which value of m (-1, 0, 1) to use.
You will calculate a rate for each value of ##m## and then average the three rates.

The calculations in this problem are lengthy. The chance of anyone getting all the numerical factors correct is pretty small. At a risk of giving away too much, here is a link to a similar calculation for the ground state of hydrogen.

http://scipp.ucsc.edu/~haber/ph216/NRQM5sol_12.pdf (See problem 2 starting on page 7.)

Last edited:

1. What is the concept of hydrogen ionization rates using time dependent perturbation?

The concept of hydrogen ionization rates using time dependent perturbation is a theoretical framework used to study the process of ionization in hydrogen atoms when subjected to a time-varying external electric field. This approach takes into account the effects of both the external field and the atomic structure, allowing for a more accurate understanding of the ionization process.

2. How is the ionization rate calculated using time dependent perturbation?

The ionization rate using time dependent perturbation is calculated by solving the Schrödinger equation for the hydrogen atom in the presence of a time-varying electric field. This solution yields a time-dependent probability for the electron to be in the ionized state, which can then be used to calculate the ionization rate.

3. What factors affect the ionization rate in this model?

In this model, the ionization rate is affected by several factors, including the strength and frequency of the external electric field, the initial state of the atom, and the atomic properties such as energy levels and quantum numbers. These factors can all influence the probability of ionization and therefore, the overall ionization rate.

4. How does the time dependence of the electric field impact the ionization process?

The time dependence of the electric field plays a crucial role in the ionization process. A rapidly varying electric field can lead to multiphoton ionization, where the electron absorbs multiple photons and is ejected from the atom. On the other hand, a slowly varying electric field can lead to tunneling ionization, where the electron can tunnel through the potential barrier and escape the atom.

5. What are the applications of studying hydrogen ionization rates using time dependent perturbation?

Studying hydrogen ionization rates using time dependent perturbation has various applications in fields such as atomic and molecular physics, laser-matter interactions, and quantum optics. This approach can provide insights into the dynamics of ionization processes and can be used to design and optimize experiments involving ionization phenomena.