Hydrogen plasma compression with liquid Mercury piston

In summary, the conversation is about a thought experiment involving a liquid mercury projectile being fired at hydrogen plasma at high temperatures and pressures. The goal is to determine how much of the kinetic energy from the projectile will be converted into work on the plasma and how much will be done on the piston. The question is whether, at higher pressures, the piston will be able to change volume more than the hydrogen, resulting in most of the work being done on the piston.
BrandonBerchtold
I'm working on a thought experiment. I want to know how much of the kinetic energy from a liquid mercury piston will be converted into work done on the hydrogen plasma in the form of compression, and how much work will be done on the piston in the form of compression. Note: assume piston walls are incompressible.

A 5mm diameter, 5mm length liquid mercury projectile is to be fired down a barrel. The projectile is fired at 0.00002 mols of hydrogen plasma at 300000 Kelvin. The piston should ideally compress the plasma to the point at which fusion will occur.

I am wondering if at higher pressures, when the hydrogen is already compressed into a very small volume, will almost all of the work be done on the piston as it will be able to change volume much more than the hydrogen? Following work = force*distance, at high pressures, the force will be equal on the piston and the hydrogen plasma but the piston will be able to change volume more than the hydrogen, correct?

I know this is not the best defined problem but I am just looking for an idea of how to approach this problem.

Attachments

• IMG_20171231_174815.jpg
    IMG_20171231_174815.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 541
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
BrandonBerchtold said:
300000 Kelvin
Really?

1. What is hydrogen plasma compression with liquid mercury piston?

Hydrogen plasma compression with liquid mercury piston is a method of compressing hydrogen gas using a liquid mercury piston. The hydrogen gas is heated to a high temperature, causing it to turn into plasma, and then compressed by the liquid mercury piston.

2. What is the purpose of using liquid mercury in this process?

Liquid mercury is used in this process because it is a dense and conductive liquid that can easily compress the hydrogen plasma. It also has a low vapor pressure, which helps to prevent the plasma from escaping.

3. How does this process produce energy?

Hydrogen plasma compression with liquid mercury piston can produce energy through a controlled fusion reaction. The compressed hydrogen plasma will undergo fusion, releasing a large amount of energy that can be harnessed for various purposes.

4. Are there any risks associated with this process?

There are potential risks associated with this process, such as the release of radioactive materials if the fusion reaction is not fully contained. However, with proper safety protocols in place, these risks can be minimized.

5. What are the potential applications of this technology?

This technology has the potential to be used as a clean and sustainable energy source. It could also be used for space propulsion and in the production of medical isotopes. Further research and development are needed to fully explore its potential applications.