Hydrostatics Pressure - Finding thrust and resultants

In summary, the person is seeking help with a problem involving thrust force, water density, and gravitational constant. They have attempted to solve part a) and are now asking for direction on part b) and c). They have included their attempt at solving part a) and are also asking for book recommendations.
maxisman

Homework Statement

I'm getting stuck with this one and in need of some direction! Obviously I'm not looking for a direct solution, but maybe a outline of what I should be doing? (I'll attach an image in a few minutes)

<Image here incoming!>

Known data:

d2 = d1 / 2
F = thrust force (N)
Pa = ρ . g . ha g = gravitational constant 9.81N/m^2
ρ = rho, water density 1000kg/m^2
g = gravitational constant 9,81N/m^2
b = 8m (lock gate width

Homework Equations

I think I've answered part a) correctly, see section 3.

b)
Finding the resultant: would it be Ft (total force) = F1 - F2 (F1 being the greater force)?

c)
Find the acting point: All I know is that the centroid of a RH triangle is 2/3 from the base, so somehow a combination of the two?

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt so far:

a)
Thrust at F1 = 1/2 . ρ . g . d1^2
= 1/2 . 1000kg m^3 . 9,81 . d1^2 . 8
F1 / d1^2 = 39240N (39,24 . 10^3N) I've moved the d1^2 over to left and worked out the rest.

Thrust at F2 = 1/2 . ρ . g . (d2^2 / 2) . 8
= 1/2 . 1000kg m^3 . 9,81 . (d2^2 / 2) . 8
F2 / (d2^2 / 2) = 39240N (39,24 . 10^3N)

Any direction would be wonderful

Also any good books for me purchase too!

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
And that figure is where?

1. What is hydrostatics pressure?

Hydrostatics pressure is the force exerted by a fluid at rest due to its weight. It is a result of the gravitational pull on the fluid and is determined by the depth and density of the fluid.

2. How do you calculate hydrostatics pressure?

Hydrostatics pressure can be calculated using the formula P = ρgh, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the depth of the fluid.

3. What is thrust in relation to hydrostatics pressure?

Thrust is the force that results from the pressure difference between the top and bottom of an object submerged in a fluid. It is calculated by multiplying the hydrostatic pressure by the surface area of the object.

4. How do you find the resultant force in a hydrostatics pressure problem?

The resultant force in a hydrostatics pressure problem can be found by summing up all the individual forces acting on the object, including the weight of the object and the buoyant force, and then determining the direction and magnitude of the resulting force.

5. What are some real-life applications of hydrostatics pressure?

Hydrostatics pressure has many practical applications, including in hydraulic systems, such as car brakes and heavy machinery, in designing and building dams and water towers, and in scuba diving and submarine operations. It is also essential in understanding weather patterns and ocean currents.