Hyper-complex fields in Supergravity?

In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical concept known as split-complex numbers and their potential application in physics, particularly in the context of a solution in supergravity. The conversation also touches on the use of "Perplex numbers" in special relativity and the search for a classical field Lagrangian with split-complex solutions.
Professor_E
Dear colleagues
I have recently come across a mathematical reference discussing all possible generalizations of complex numbers. A particularly interesting such generalization is known as split-complex numbers. These are defined:

z = x+jy
z* = x-jy

similarly to ordinary complex numbers except that j^2 = +1 not -1. This makes:

zz* = x^2 - y^2

Having learned about this for the first time, it immediately brought memories of a solution in supergravity that I have found but abandoned on physical grounds some time ago. It seems to me now that the solution I have found would be well-behaved, at least mathematically, if I had assumed it to be split-complex! But this begs the question: What does that mean physically? Do any of you know of any precedent in the literature.
I am just curious, but perhaps I will take a second look at that solution ...

Physics news on Phys.org
robphy said:
The "Perplex numbers" can be used in special relativity.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1119/1.14605

(I am using them to develop a new way to teach relativity.)

Thanks - Yes I am aware to their application to special relativity. But what I am looking for is a precedent for a classical field Lagrangian that has split-complex solutions.

What are hyper-complex fields in supergravity?

Hyper-complex fields in supergravity refer to a type of field theory that combines elements of both supergravity and hyper-complex numbers. Supergravity is a theory that unifies general relativity and supersymmetry, while hyper-complex numbers are an extension of complex numbers that involve more than one imaginary unit.

Why are hyper-complex fields important in supergravity?

Hyper-complex fields are important in supergravity because they allow for a more complete and comprehensive understanding of the interactions between matter and gravity. By incorporating both supergravity and hyper-complex numbers, this theory can potentially provide a more accurate description of the fundamental forces of nature.

How are hyper-complex fields different from other fields in supergravity?

Hyper-complex fields are different from other fields in supergravity in that they involve multiple imaginary units, allowing for a wider range of mathematical operations and potentially more complex interactions. This makes hyper-complex fields a more versatile and powerful tool for studying the behavior of particles and fields in supergravity.

What are some potential applications of hyper-complex fields in supergravity?

Some potential applications of hyper-complex fields in supergravity include studying the behavior of particles in highly curved spacetimes, understanding the nature of dark matter and dark energy, and exploring the possible connections between supergravity and string theory. These fields could also have implications for future technologies, such as quantum computing.

Are there any current challenges or limitations in studying hyper-complex fields in supergravity?

Yes, there are still many challenges and limitations in studying hyper-complex fields in supergravity. One major challenge is the complexity of the mathematical calculations involved, which can make it difficult to test and validate hypotheses. Additionally, there is still much to be understood about the nature of supergravity and the behavior of hyper-complex fields, so further research and experimentation are necessary to fully utilize this theory.