Hypodermic Needle Fluid Dynamics

In summary: The above approximation isn't so great in real life for something as narrow as...a needle. A more accurate approximation would be to use the Bernoulli equation and solve for the velocity.
Adam Quinn
A hypodermic syringe contains a medicine with the density of water (figure below). The barrel of the syringe has a cross-sectional area of 2.18
multiply.gif
10-5 m2. In the absence of a force on the plunger, the pressure everywhere is 1.00 atm.
A force
boldF.gif
of magnitude 1.78 N is exerted on the plunger, making medicine squirt from the needle. Determine the medicine's flow speed through the needle.
Assume the pressure in the needle remains equal to 1.00 atm and that the syringe is horizontal.

I assume the Bernoulli equation is needed
pv1^2/2 + p1 = pv2^2/2 + p2 = constant
pgh would be irrelevant as the needle is horizontal, hence can be removed from both sides of the equation.

So far I have P1 = 101 325 + 1.78/2.18*10^-5 = 182976.38 (2dp)

where do I go from here? Any help would be awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Need the needle bore .

Nidum said:
Need the needle bore .
I wasnt given any other measurements, how can I solve for the area of the needle?

Bore of needle is essential to calculate flow rate . If you don't actually know then choose some possible bores and calculate flow for each one to get ball park answers .

You can do it backwards and specify a suitable flow rate and then solve for needle bore if this is easier .

If this is a medical syringe then needle sizes for different purposes are probably available from manufacturers data .

Nidum said:
Bore of needle is essential to calculate flow rate . If you don't actually know then choose some possible bores and calculate flow for each one to get ball park answers .

You can do it backwards and specify a suitable flow rate and then solve for needle bore if this is easier .

If this is a medical syringe then needle sizes for different purposes are probably available from manufacturers data .
If it says that the pressure in the needle remains at 1atm, even though liquid is being pushed through, would the force through the first part be equal to the force equal through the needle, and hence p1a1=p2a1?
Would this give me a correct area value?

Is this a real problem to be solved or a study/homework task ?

Nidum said:
Is this a real problem to be solved or a study/homework task ?
for study

Since they give you all the pressures, you actually don't need the bore of the needle if you make a few simplifying assumptions such as Bernoulli's equation being valid, a constant flow rate, and the syringe being much larger than the needle. In that case, you know everything except for the dynamic pressure in the syringe and can solve for the velocity that way.

boneh3ad said:
Since they give you all the pressures, you actually don't need the bore of the needle if you make a few simplifying assumptions such as Bernoulli's equation being valid, a constant flow rate, and the syringe being much larger than the needle. In that case, you know everything except for the dynamic pressure in the syringe and can solve for the velocity that way.

uh, how? I really don't know...

So then let's think about what you do know: baseline pressure in both the needle and syringe (which is equal to atmospheric pressure) and a force applied to a plunger of known cross-sectional area. Is there any way that you can use this information to eliminate all of the other variables from Bernoulli's equation besides the outgoing pressure, particularly in light of the simplifying assumptions I mentioned earlier?

boneh3ad said:
So then let's think about what you do know: baseline pressure in both the needle and syringe (which is equal to atmospheric pressure) and a force applied to a plunger of known cross-sectional area. Is there any way that you can use this information to eliminate all of the other variables from Bernoulli's equation besides the outgoing pressure, particularly in light of the simplifying assumptions I mentioned earlier?

Yes, I have P1, cannot find P2, I can eliminate pgh from both sides of the equation.
I am now left with P1 = 182976.376, A1 = 2.18*10^-5, and the rest of the equation
p1-p2 = 1/2rho (v^2 - v^2)

Adam Quinn said:
Yes, I have P1, cannot find P2, I can eliminate pgh from both sides of the equation.
I am now left with P1 = 182976.376, A1 = 2.18*10^-5, and the rest of the equation
p1-p2 = 1/2rho (v^2 - v^2)

But you are given ##p_2##.

boneh3ad said:
But you are given ##p_2##.
p2 doesn't increase from 1atm when the plunger is pushed?

Adam Quinn said:
if not then i have (182976 - 101325)/.5*1000 = v2^2-v1^2

Adam Quinn said:

In the problem statement you gave originally, it said to "assume the pressure in the needle remains equal to 1.00 atm and that the syringe is horizontal."

Adam Quinn said:
if not then i have (182976 - 101325)/.5*1000 = v2^2-v1^2

The above approximation isn't so great in real life for something as narrow as a needle, but the advantage of something like a narrow needle is that you can make use of another approximation that I mentioned before: namely that the cross section of the syringe is much, much larger than that of the needle.

boneh3ad said:
In the problem statement you gave originally, it said to "assume the pressure in the needle remains equal to 1.00 atm and that the syringe is horizontal."
The above approximation isn't so great in real life for something as narrow as a needle, but the advantage of something like a narrow needle is that you can make use of another approximation that I mentioned before: namely that the cross section of the syringe is much, much larger than that of the needle.
I'm failing to see how this helps me, I can't just say that the cross sectional area of the needle is 0, nor can I say that the velocity is extremely large. (as per a1v1=a2v2, I don't even have a velocity for the tube.)

Adam Quinn said:
I'm failing to see how this helps me, I can't just say that the cross sectional area of the needle is 0, nor can I say that the velocity is extremely large. (as per a1v1=a2v2, I don't even have a velocity for the tube.)

Ah, but you were almost there. You have just said ##v_1 A_1 = v_2 A_2##, with the 1 being the syringe and 2 being the needle. You can safely assume that ##A_1 \gg A_2##, so try looking at it in the form
[tex]\dfrac{A_2}{A_1} = \dfrac{v_1}{v_2}.[/tex]

boneh3ad said:
Ah, but you were almost there. You have just said ##v_1 A_1 = v_2 A_2##, with the 1 being the syringe and 2 being the needle. You can safely assume that ##A_1 \gg A_2##, so try looking at it in the form
[tex]\dfrac{A_2}{A_1} = \dfrac{v_1}{v_2}.[/tex]
hence,
[tex]\dfrac{A_1}{2.18*10^{-5}} = \dfrac{v_1}{v_2}[/tex]
where A1 would be negligible?
hence
[tex]\dfrac{v_1}{v_2} = 2.18*10^{-5}[/tex]

Adam Quinn said:
hence,
[tex]\dfrac{A_1}{2.18*10^{-5}} = \dfrac{v_1}{v_2}[/tex]
where A1 would be negligible?
hence
[tex]\dfrac{v_1}{v_2} = 2.18*10^{-5}[/tex]
This could be expressed as
[tex]{v_2} = {2.18*10^{-5}}*{v_1} [/tex]
If this is true then
[tex]{182976}-{101325} = {500}*(({2.18*10^{-5}*v_1})-{v_1}) [/tex]

Adam Quinn said:
If this is true then

True, but you are overcomplicating matters. If ##A_2/A_1## is negligibly small, then ##v_1/v_2## must be equally small, and you could say that ##v_1 \ll v_2##, which is essentially what you did when you just estimated it as five orders of magnitude smaller (though you had your ratios reversed). For all intents and purposes, then, you could say ##v_1 \approx 0##.

Adam Quinn said:
If this is true then
By solving this I get a negative velocity value, something tells me this means that it's incorrect.

boneh3ad said:
True, but you are overcomplicating matters. If ##A_2/A_1## is negligibly small, then ##v_1/v_2## must be equally small, and you could say that ##v_1 \ll v_2##, which is essentially what you did when you just estimated it as five orders of magnitude smaller (though you had your ratios reversed). For all intents and purposes, then, you could say ##v_1 \approx 0##.
this would essentially mean that [tex]{v_2} = 12.779 m.s^{-1} [/tex]

Adam Quinn said:
this would essentially mean that [tex]{v_2} = 12.779 m.s^{-1} [/tex]
hence
[tex]{2.14*10^{-5}}*{v_1}={A_2}*{12.78} [/tex]

Adam Quinn said:
By solving this I get a negative velocity value, something tells me this means that it's incorrect.

Right, as I previously pointed out, you mixed up your ratios. It is ##v_1## that should be substantially less than ##v_2##, not the other way around.

boneh3ad said:
Right, as I previously pointed out, you mixed up your ratios. It is ##v_1## that should be substantially less than ##v_2##, not the other way around.
okay so,
[tex]{A_1}{V_1} = {A_2}{V_2}[/tex]
[tex] {A_1} = {2.14*10^{-5}}[/tex]
[tex] \dfrac{A_1}{A_2} = \dfrac{V_2}{V_1} [/tex]
[tex] \dfrac{2.14*10^{-5}}{A_2} = \dfrac{V_2}{V_1} [/tex]

what do I do from here, please no more riddles, struggling to understand this as it is.

Last edited:
Adam Quinn said:
okay so,
[tex]{A_1}{V_1} = {A_2}{V_2}[/tex]
[tex] {A_1} = {2.14*10^{-5}}[/tex]
[tex] \dfrac{A_1}{A_2} = \dfrac{V_2}{V_1} [/tex]
[tex] \dfrac{2.14*10^{-5}}{A_2} = \dfrac{V_2}{V_1} [/tex]

what do I do from here, please no more riddles, struggling to understand this as it is.

I am pretty sure I haven't provided any riddles. We discussed that ##A_1 \gg A_2## and how that implies that ##v_2 \gg v_1## and how that implies that you can treat the problem as ##v_1 = 0##. I am really not sure how I can be any more straightforward than that short of just doing the problem for you.

1. What is hypodermic needle fluid dynamics?

Hypodermic needle fluid dynamics is the study of the movement and behavior of fluids within a hypodermic needle, which is used to inject substances into the body.

2. Why is understanding hypodermic needle fluid dynamics important?

Understanding hypodermic needle fluid dynamics is important because it can help improve the design and functionality of hypodermic needles, leading to more effective and efficient medical procedures.

3. What factors affect the fluid dynamics within a hypodermic needle?

The diameter and length of the needle, the viscosity of the fluid being injected, and the pressure and speed of injection can all affect the fluid dynamics within a hypodermic needle.

4. How does the angle of insertion affect fluid flow in a hypodermic needle?

The angle of insertion can affect the flow of fluid in a hypodermic needle by creating more or less resistance, depending on the direction of flow. A steeper angle may create more resistance, while a shallower angle may allow for smoother flow.

5. What are some applications of hypodermic needle fluid dynamics?

Hypodermic needle fluid dynamics has applications in medical procedures, such as injections and blood sampling, as well as in the design and development of drug delivery systems and medical devices.