I am a bit confused at orthonormal tetrad in General Relativity

In summary, an orthonormal tetrad in General Relativity is a set of four basis vectors that are mutually orthogonal and have a unit magnitude. It is important because it allows for a local description of spacetime curvature and the calculation of physical quantities at a specific point. It is constructed using four linearly independent vectors and is related to the metric tensor through the vierbein formalism. An orthonormal tetrad is used in solving equations in General Relativity to simplify calculations and make them more manageable.
Junjie
I am a bit confused at "orthonormal tetrad" in General Relativity...

I think orthonormal tetrad should be a set of vectors like

e0= (1,0,0,0)
e1= (0,1,0,0)
e2= (0,0,1,0)
e3= (0,0,0,1)

However, in my book, it is written as

e0= (-1,0,0,0)
e1= (0,1,0,0)
e2= (0,0,1,0)
e3= (0,0,0,1)

I am not sure which one is right, and why it is right. My roomate think both are right, which makes me even more confused.

Physics news on Phys.org

Your second tetrad is obtained from your first by reflecting e0. Both are correct. You could say that one set is right-handed and the other set is left-handed (if you had four-dimensional hands)

Related to I am a bit confused at orthonormal tetrad in General Relativity

1. What is an orthonormal tetrad in General Relativity?

An orthonormal tetrad is a set of four basis vectors that are mutually orthogonal (perpendicular) and have a unit magnitude. In General Relativity, these four vectors represent the four-dimensional spacetime and are used to describe the local geometry of a point in space.

2. Why is an orthonormal tetrad important in General Relativity?

An orthonormal tetrad is important in General Relativity because it allows for a local description of the spacetime curvature. It also allows for the calculation of physical quantities, such as the energy-momentum tensor, at a specific point in spacetime.

3. How is an orthonormal tetrad constructed?

An orthonormal tetrad is constructed using a set of four linearly independent vectors, typically denoted as e0, e1, e2, and e3. These vectors are chosen to be mutually orthogonal and have a unit magnitude, such as the unit vectors in Cartesian coordinates.

4. What is the relationship between an orthonormal tetrad and the metric tensor in General Relativity?

The orthonormal tetrad is related to the metric tensor in General Relativity through the vierbein formalism. The vierbein, or tetrad, is a matrix that relates the orthonormal basis vectors to the coordinate basis vectors, and can be used to convert between the two representations.

5. How is an orthonormal tetrad used in solving equations in General Relativity?

In solving equations in General Relativity, an orthonormal tetrad is used to simplify the calculations and make them more manageable. By choosing a local orthonormal basis, the equations can be written in a more compact form, making it easier to solve for the desired quantities.