I am Imran, a retired Electrical Engineer with a QM question

In summary, the canonical commutator [x,p] = i\hbar can be derived using basic calculus. The origin of p=-i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x} can be understood by considering its action on plane waves, where it returns the same function times a factor of momentum. This allows for the creation of differential equations that relate variables such as wavenumber, frequency, and energy, and played a key role in Schrodinger's famous equation.
ImranM098
Hi ,
Could somebody explain how to DERIVE the canonical postulate [Xcap,Pcap]=ihbar ? The idea of Pcap operator's origin as -ihbar d/dx also is found puzzling .

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
The canonical commutator ##[x, p] = i\hbar## can be derived with basic calculus (the product rule). We apply the operators x and p to a wave function f(x) in different orders and compare

$$px\,f(x) = -i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x} x f(x) = -i\hbar (1+ x\frac{\partial}{\partial x}f(x) ) = (-i\hbar + xp)f(x)$$

Since f(x) is arbitrary, we have determined

$$px = -i\hbar + xp$$
$$[x,p] = xp - px = i\hbar$$

The origin of ##p= -i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x}## can be understood by considering its action on plane waves. If we have a plane wave ##e^{ikx}##, then applying the momentum operator ##p## extracts a factor of k (k is called a wavenumber which is spatial frequency)

$$-i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x}e^{ikx} = -i\cdot i \hbar k \cdot e^{ikx} = \hbar k\,e^{ikx}$$

So when you apply the momentum operator to a plane wave it returns the same function times a factor of momentum ##p=\hbar k##. So the momentum operator gives a factor of the momentum value when operating on a plane wave.
This enables you to write a differential equation that will satisfy a relationship between variables such as wavenumber k, frequency, or energy. For some differential equations you can cancel the function on both sides of the equation and be left with an algebraic equation in terms of variables like frequency and energy. This is basically how Schrodinger arrived at his famous equation.

Last edited:
Likes Nugatory, Mentz114, fresh_42 and 2 others

1. What is a QM question?

A QM question refers to a question related to quantum mechanics, which is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at a microscopic level.

2. What is your background in electrical engineering?

I have a degree in electrical engineering and have worked in the field for many years, specializing in power systems and renewable energy.

3. How does your background in electrical engineering relate to quantum mechanics?

While my background is in electrical engineering, I have also studied and conducted research in quantum mechanics, particularly in its applications to energy systems.

4. What led you to retire from your career as an electrical engineer?

I reached the age of retirement and decided to pursue other interests, such as furthering my understanding of quantum mechanics and sharing my knowledge with others.

5. What do you hope to achieve by answering QM questions?

I hope to educate and inspire others to learn more about quantum mechanics, as well as engage in meaningful discussions and exchange of ideas with fellow scientists and curious individuals.