I am new to Calculus. rate of change

In summary: This is also known as the first principle of differentiation. In summary, the first principle of differentiation uses the limit definition of the derivative to find the derivative of a function. This involves expanding the function, simplifying, and using trigonometric identities and limits to evaluate the limit.
Abu Rehan
I am new to Calculus. I know that the rate of change in some thing is called it's derivative or we differentiate something to find the rate of change in it. But while differentiating or better to say proving that if f(x)= sinx then f'(x)= cosx, we take f'(x)= lim h->0 [sin(x+h)- sinx]/h. Can you explain why?
I know formulas like sin2x+ cos2x= 1
And the rest used in proving this.

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Well to find the derivative of f(x) you find the the slope of the tangent line at every point x. To do this imagine a secant line intersecting the function at 2 points, (x,f(x)), and (x+h, f(x+h)). Finding the slope of the secant line, which is [f(x+h) - f(x)]/h, will approximately give you how the function is changing, depending on how small your "h" is. To find the tangent line, which only intersects the function at point (x, f(x)), simply let "h" go to zero. That gives you your formula for differentiation.

Abu Rehan said:
I am new to Calculus. I know that the rate of change in some thing is called it's derivative or we differentiate something to find the rate of change in it. But while differentiating or better to say proving that if f(x)= sinx then f'(x)= cosx, we take f'(x)= lim h->0 [sin(x+h)- sinx]/h. Can you explain why?
I know formulas like sin2x+ cos2x= 1
And the rest used in proving this.

Do you mean you want to know why, if f(x) = sinx,

[tex]f'(x) = \lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin(x + h) - \sin(x)}{h} = \cos x ? [/tex]

You would first start by expanding sin(x + h) using the sum formula for sine, rewrite things a bit, then use some trig limits to evaluate the limit for the derivative.

Related to I am new to Calculus. rate of change

What is Calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change. It involves the analysis of functions and their rates of change, as well as the accumulation of quantities over a given interval.

What is the rate of change in Calculus?

The rate of change, also known as the derivative, is a fundamental concept in Calculus. It measures how much a function changes with respect to its input or independent variable. In other words, it determines how fast the output of a function is changing as the input changes.

How is the rate of change calculated?

The rate of change can be calculated using the derivative formula, which is the limit of the difference quotient as the interval between two points approaches zero. Alternatively, it can be found by using rules such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule.

Why is the rate of change important?

The rate of change is important because it allows us to understand and analyze the behavior of functions. It helps us determine the maximum and minimum values of a function, the intervals where a function is increasing or decreasing, and the slope of a tangent line to a curve at a specific point.

How can I apply the concept of rate of change in real life?

The rate of change has numerous applications in real life, such as in physics, economics, and engineering. For example, it can be used to calculate the speed of a moving object, the growth rate of a population, or the rate of change of stock prices. Understanding the concept of rate of change can also help in making predictions and solving real-world problems.