I am not sure to put this in this secton or computer section

In summary, classical computers have been used to simulate quantum mechanical systems with varying degrees of accuracy, but quantum computers have the potential to simulate both quantum and classical physics more efficiently. However, we still need more qubits for quantum simulators to outperform classical simulators. The hope is that quantum computers will be able to simulate physical systems with greater detail and accuracy.
billa12
Can quantum computers simulate quantum effects and non quantum effects in one program? If not will they be able to in the future?

Can a classical computer simulate quantum mechanics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Classical computers have been used to simulate many types of physical systems including quantum mechanical systems with varying degrees of accuracy.

To learn more about computational physics you can browse the open source physics website at www.compadre.org/osp

All digital computers follow the Turing model hence even a quantum computer should be able to simulate the same systems as a classical computer. The hope is that they will be many times faster allowing to simulate to greater detail and get more accurate predictions.

In contrast, some systems can be better simulated using an electrical analog computer (analog circuit connected to an oscilloscope) many times faster than a classical computer although the degree of accuracy may be limited. As an example a calculator can provide many digit accuracy vs a slide with at most 3 to 4 significant figures.

When you say "simulate" I assume that you mean "efficiently simulate", since the problem with classical computers is that we have not found any way to efficiently (using only polynomial resources) simulate quantum physics. Quantum computers however, can always simulate both quantum and classical physics, because there is no problem at all letting a quantum bit be a normal bit, by just ignore the phase/superposition possibilities.

Though note that we are not yet there when quantum simulators can do stuff that classical can't, we still need more qubits to outperform classical simulators.

Related to I am not sure to put this in this secton or computer section

What is the difference between the "I am not sure to put this in this secton" and "computer" sections?

The "I am not sure to put this in this secton" section is typically used for general questions or topics that do not fit into a specific category. The "computer" section, on the other hand, is specifically for questions related to computers and technology.

Can I post my question in both the "I am not sure to put this in this secton" and "computer" sections?

It is not recommended to post the same question in multiple sections. Choose the section that is most relevant to your question to ensure that it reaches the appropriate audience.

What type of questions are appropriate for the "I am not sure to put this in this secton" section?

The "I am not sure to put this in this secton" section is suitable for open-ended questions, discussions, and general inquiries that do not have a specific category.

Can I ask for technical support in the "I am not sure to put this in this secton" section?

No, the "I am not sure to put this in this secton" section is not intended for technical support. Please use the "computer" section for any technical questions or issues.

What if I am still unsure which section to post my question in?

If you are unsure which section is most appropriate for your question, you can always reach out to the community or moderators for guidance. They will be happy to assist you in finding the best section for your question.