I am stuck on a calculation -- Entropy change for a compound system

In summary, Philip showed that if the two systems have the same temperature at the end, then the entropy change is greater than or equal to zero.
Lambda96
Homework Statement
show that $$ \Delta S \geqslant 0 $$
Relevant Equations
none
Hi,

Unfortunately, I have problems with the task 4
Bildschirmfoto 2022-11-18 um 14.07.04.png

In task 3 I got the following

$$ T_f=T_ie^{\Delta S_i - c_i} $$

Then I proceeded as follows

$$ \Delta S = \Delta S_1 + \Delta S_1 $$
$$ \Delta S =c_1ln(\frac{T_ie^{\Delta S_i - c_i}}{T_1})+c_2ln(\frac{T_f}{T_2})$$
$$ \Delta S =c_1ln(\frac{T_1e^{\Delta S_1 - c_1}}{T_1})+c_2ln(\frac{T_2e^{\Delta S_2 - c_2}}{T_2})$$
$$ \Delta S = c_1ln(e^{\Delta S_1 - c_1}) + c_2*ln(e^{\Delta S_2 -c_2}) $$
$$ \Delta S = c_1*(\Delta S_1 - c_1) + c_2*(\Delta S_2 - c_2) $$

Unfortunately, I can not get any further now

Did I do anything wrong, or am I missing something that I can show that this expression is greater than or equal to 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lambda96 said:
Homework Statement:: show that $$ \Delta S \geqslant 0 $$
Relevant Equations:: none

Hi,

Unfortunately, I have problems with the task 4View attachment 317365
In task 3 I got the following

$$ T_f=T_ie^{\Delta S_i - c_i} $$

Then I proceeded as follows

$$ \Delta S = \Delta S_1 + \Delta S_1 $$
$$ \Delta S =c_1ln(\frac{T_ie^{\Delta S_i - c_i}}{T_1})+c_2ln(\frac{T_f}{T_2})$$
$$ \Delta S =c_1ln(\frac{T_1e^{\Delta S_1 - c_1}}{T_1})+c_2ln(\frac{T_2e^{\Delta S_2 - c_2}}{T_2})$$
$$ \Delta S = c_1ln(e^{\Delta S_1 - c_1}) + c_2*ln(e^{\Delta S_2 -c_2}) $$
$$ \Delta S = c_1*(\Delta S_1 - c_1) + c_2*(\Delta S_2 - c_2) $$

Unfortunately, I can not get any further now

Did I do anything wrong, or am I missing something that I can show that this expression is greater than or equal to 0?
Stop manipulating expressions and start thinking, I would say.

Your result for task 3 is both mathematically wrong (It doesn't follow from the expression in task 1) and it doesn't help you as long as you don't know ΔS for either of the systems, and for that you need Tf.
You are going round in circles!

So, you need to determine Tf first, without using ΔS.

Likes hutchphd and berkeman
Thanks for your help Philip 👍

I thought about the task again. The two systems should have the same temperature ##T_f## at the end. The heat transfer is calculated as follows

$$ \Delta Q = C\Delta T $$

Then the following must be true for the system.

$$\Delta Q_1=-\Delta Q_2$$
$$C_1\Delta T=-C_2\Delta T$$
$$C_1(T_f-T_1)=-C_2(T_f-T_2)$$

I can now solve this expression for the final temperature and get

$$T_f=\frac{C_1T_1+C_2T_2}{C_1+C_2}$$

Back to the task

$$\Delta S=C_1ln(\frac{T_f}{T_1}+C_2ln(\frac{T_f}{T_2})$$

Unfortunately, I'm not getting anywhere now because I can't think of anything to do with the natural logarithm.

Likes Philip Koeck
You are off the mark. $$\Delta S=\int_{T_i}^{T_f}\frac{dQ}{T}=\int_{T_i}^{T_f}\frac{CdT}{T}=C\ln\left(\frac{T_f}{T_i}\right).$$Thus, for the two systems, $$\Delta S=\Delta S_1+\Delta S_2=C_1\ln\left(\frac{T_f}{T_1}\right)+C_2\ln\left(\frac{T_f}{T_2}\right).$$ Proceed from there.

Likes Lambda96
Lambda96 said:
$$\Delta S=C_1ln(\frac{T_f}{T_1}+C_2ln(\frac{T_f}{T_2})$$

Unfortunately, I'm not getting anywhere now because I can't think of anything to do with the natural logarithm.
Maybe split up the logarithms and summarize so you have only one Tf, then insert the expression for Tf and continue splitting and simplifying. Could work.

Likes Lambda96
Thank you Philip and kuruman for your help 👍 I was now able to show that the entropy change is greater than or equal to zero :smile:

Likes Philip Koeck
Here is my solution

Bildschirmfoto 2022-11-22 um 18.26.19.png

Lambda96 said:
Here is my solution
Lambda96 said:
That would mean that the process is reversible, but if T1 and T2 are not the same it should be irreversible and ΔS should be larger than 0.

1669155094390.png

Likes Philip Koeck
TSny said:
Meant for the OP:
The expression before the mistake pointed out above by TSny is symmetric in T1, C1 and T2, C2 so you can simply decide that T1 > T2. I believe that will lead to ΔS > 0.

Last edited:
Thanks TSny and Philip for your help 👍 , I have corrected the error before submission, thanks again for pointing it out 👍

Likes Philip Koeck

1. What is entropy change and why is it important?

Entropy change is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It is important because it helps us understand how energy is distributed and how systems tend to evolve towards a state of maximum disorder.

2. How do I calculate entropy change for a compound system?

To calculate entropy change for a compound system, you need to know the initial and final states of the system and the number of particles or molecules involved. You can then use the formula ΔS = k ln (Wf/Wi), where k is the Boltzmann constant, Wf is the number of microstates in the final state, and Wi is the number of microstates in the initial state.

3. Can entropy change be negative?

Yes, entropy change can be negative. This means that the system is becoming more ordered, which is a decrease in disorder. This is often seen in processes where energy is released, such as the formation of crystals.

4. What factors affect the entropy change of a system?

The factors that affect entropy change include the number of particles in the system, the temperature, and the phase of the system. Increasing the number of particles or the temperature generally results in an increase in entropy change, while changing the phase of the system can either increase or decrease entropy change depending on the specific process.

5. How is entropy change related to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. This is because entropy change is a measure of the disorder in a system, and the natural tendency of systems is to become more disordered. Therefore, entropy change is closely related to the second law of thermodynamics and helps us understand the direction and spontaneity of chemical and physical processes.