I bullet is fired into the underside of a block hung from a spring, work theorem q.

In summary, the amplitude of the resulting simple harmonic motion can be found by solving for the distance h1 and h2 using the equations: KE = Mgh1 + (1/2)k(h1)^2 and (1/2)mv^2 + (1/2)kx^2 = MgX, where v is the velocity after the inelastic collision of the bullet and the block. The amplitude will be h1 + h2.
longhorn991
1. A 4kg block is suspended vertically from a spring with k = 500N/m. A 0.05kg bullet is fired into the block from directly below with a velocity of 150 m/s and becomes embedded in the block. Find the amplitude of the resulting simple harmonic motion.

Homework Equations

V cm = (Bullet mass)(Bullet velocity)/(Bullet mass + block mass)
(1/2)mv^2 + (1/2)Kx^2 = MgX

The Attempt at a Solution

This seems like a pretty straightforward problem, when I solve for the velocity after the the inelastic collision of the bullet and the block, I get 1.8519 m/s, which gives an initial kinetic energy of 6.9448 J. However, there is no solution to the above equation for any positive kinetic energy, so I must be setting up the work theorem equation wrong. Can anyone point out what mistake I am making?

Physics news on Phys.org

When the combined mass is at the top of its range (velocity reaches zero), then all the initial kinetic energy will be converted to gravitational PE and spring PE. So if KE is your initial KE and h1 is the height above the starting position, and dealing with the magnitudes of the energies,

KE = Mgh1 + (1/2)k(h1)2

On the way back down, the mass will pass through the same location with the same kinetic energy (only this time the velocity will be directed downwards). Write another equation similar to the above that will find h2, the distance below this initial level where the spring will now hold the KE and the additional gravitational PE. The amplitude of the oscillations will be h1 + h2.

Related to I bullet is fired into the underside of a block hung from a spring, work theorem q.

1. What is the work theorem in relation to a bullet fired into a block hung from a spring?

The work theorem states that the work done by a force on an object is equal to the change in the object's kinetic energy.

2. How does the work theorem apply to a bullet fired into the underside of a block hung from a spring?

In this scenario, the bullet's initial kinetic energy is equal to the work done on the block by the force of the bullet. This causes the block to move, and work is also done on the spring, causing it to stretch. The work done on the spring is equal to the change in the block's potential energy.

3. Does the work theorem apply to both the bullet and the block in this scenario?

Yes, the work theorem applies to both the bullet and the block. The bullet's kinetic energy is transformed into the block's potential energy and the work done on the spring. This is a conservation of energy.

4. How does the spring affect the work theorem in this situation?

The spring's presence affects the work theorem because it allows for the transfer of energy from the bullet to the block. The work done on the spring is equal to the change in the block's potential energy.

5. What factors can affect the work theorem in this scenario?

The factors that can affect the work theorem in this scenario include the mass and velocity of the bullet, the mass and initial position of the block, and the stiffness of the spring. Friction and air resistance may also play a role in the amount of work done.