I can't make sense of this log property explanation?

In summary, the conversation discusses two topics: the first being a question about a logarithm equation and its proof, and the second being a graphing question with an equation involving multiple parts. The summary explains the steps of solving the logarithm equation and addresses the confusion about the graphing question.
roger12

Homework Statement

I decided to cram these two unrelated question into one post, because they are too small and I don't want to crowd the forum with my many little bitty questions.

1. log(base A) of B= 1/[log(base B) of A]

because: if log(base B) of A=C, then B^C=A and so B=A^1/C

Hence, log(base A) of B= 1/C= 1/[log(base B) of A]

2. plot the graph of:

x^2+x+1: x<1, x=1 for [-3, 4] with intervals of 0.5

It's a part of a bigger graph.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I don't see how introducing C as equal to a different base and then carrying out a bunch of algebraic manipulations prove anything. Am I missing something here? Thank You.

2. x,y pairs (-3, 7), (-2, 3), (-1,1) I chose the whole numbers for x, because they are more convenient to me. If you look at this part of the graph in my book it goes through different points. Can, you please tell me where I went wrong? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
roger12 said:
1. log(base A) of B= 1/[log(base B) of A]

because: if log(base B) of A=C, then B^C=A...
Remember the for logarithms,
logn x = y iff ny = x

So, using this, if
logB A = C, then BC = A.

... and so B=A^1/C
From
BC = A,
raise both sides to the exponent of 1/C, so
(BC)1/C = (A)1/C,
or B = A1/C.

... Hence, log(base A) of B= 1/C= 1/[log(base B) of A]

Using that definition of logarithms I gave earlier, Since
B = A1/C,
logAB = 1/C.

Substitute logB A = C into the fraction, so
logAB = 1/(logB A)

roger12 said:

Homework Statement

2. plot the graph of:

It's a part of a bigger graph.

The Attempt at a Solution

2. x,y pairs (-3, 7), (-2, 3), (-1,1) I chose the whole numbers for x, because they are more convenient to me. If you look at this part of the graph in my book it goes through different points. Can, you please tell me where I went wrong? Thanks.

Apparently you are graphing the equation y = x2 + x + 1, although what you showed is not an equation.

What does this part (in red) mean?

The points you show, (-3, 7), (-2, 3), (-1,1), are on the graph of y = x2 + x + 1. Does the graph in your book come from this equation?

eumyang said:
Using that definition of logarithms I gave earlier, Since
B = A1/C,
logAB = 1/C.

Substitute logB A = C into the fraction, so
logAB = 1/(logB A)

Awesome! Why I forgot "If A=B^C, then C=log(base B)A" is beyond me.

Mark44 said:
Apparently you are graphing the equation y = x2 + x + 1, although what you showed is not an equation.

What does this part (in red) mean?

The points you show, (-3, 7), (-2, 3), (-1,1), are on the graph of y = x2 + x + 1. Does the graph in your book come from this equation?

The parts in red mean x is less than or equal to 1.

And it IS an equation :

y=x^2+x+1: x< or =1

and

y= 3-x : x>1

for [-3, 4]

y is defined differently for different values of x. But both expressions are the parts of the same equation. The part of the graph defined by y= 3-x : x>1 for [-3, 4] looks right, but the other part defined by y=x^2+x+1: x< or =1 for [-3, 4] doesn't sit on the points made up of ordered pairs above.

Related to I can't make sense of this log property explanation?

1. How do logarithms work?

Logarithms are the inverse function of exponentiation. In other words, they help us find the exponent that a base number needs to be raised to in order to equal a given number. For example, if we have the equation 10^2 = 100, the logarithm of 100 with a base of 10 would be 2.

2. Why are logarithms useful?

Logarithms are useful because they help us solve equations involving exponential growth and decay, and they also allow us to condense large numbers into more manageable values. This makes them particularly helpful in fields such as finance, physics, and engineering.

3. What is the difference between natural logarithms and common logarithms?

Natural logarithms use the base e, which is an irrational number approximately equal to 2.718. Common logarithms use the base 10. The properties and rules for solving equations with these two types of logarithms are slightly different, but ultimately they both serve the same purpose.

4. How do I simplify logarithmic expressions?

To simplify logarithmic expressions, you can use the properties of logarithms, such as the product rule, quotient rule, and power rule. You can also use the fact that logarithms are the inverse of exponents, so you can rewrite the expression in exponential form and solve from there.

5. Can you explain the concept of logarithmic scales?

Logarithmic scales are used to represent a wide range of values on a graph in a more compact way. Instead of a linear scale where each unit is equally spaced, a logarithmic scale uses a base number to evenly space the units. This allows us to see patterns and trends in data that may otherwise be difficult to visualize on a linear scale.