I can't understand the question -- Calculate the E-field in the electron cloud around a heavy atom's nucleus

In summary, there is a conversation between two people discussing the use of a formula for electric field intensity. One person mentions feeling like something is missing and the other person confirms their intuition and advises them to add the contribution from the electrons. They also point out that the relevant formula being used is incorrect and suggest checking the dimensions and using brackets. The first person then thanks the other for their response and asks for them to check their solution. The second person responds by stating that the expression used for the contribution from the electron cloud is incorrect and asks if the first person is familiar with the gauss theorem.
SimranPaudel
Homework Statement
Q) To a very rough approximation a heavy atom can be pictured to be a spherical with
charge ‘+Q’and radius ‘a’ embedded in a much larger sphere of negative charge (the
electrons). This negative sphere will have a radius ‘b’ (the atomic radius) and charge
distributed uniformly throughout its volume will be ‘–Q’. Find electric field intensity for
any radius larger than ‘a’.
Relevant Equations
E= (1/4pi E0)* (Q/R)
I tried to use the formula for electric field intensity but I feel like something is missing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello @SimranPaudel ,
:welcome: ##\qquad ##!​

SimranPaudel said:
I tried to use the formula for electric field intensity but I feel like something is missing.
Good intuition ! You are describing the contribution from the nucleus. You need to add the contribution from the electrons ...

Note that your relevant formula is incorrect (check the dimensionsn and use brackets).

##\ ##

BvU said:
Hello @SimranPaudel ,
:welcome: ##\qquad ##!​
Good intuition ! You are describing the contribution from the nucleus. You need to add the contribution from the electrons ...

Note that your relevant formula is incorrect (check the dimensionsn and use brackets).

##\ ##
Thank you so much for your response. I have attached the one that I tried to solve. Can you please check if it is correct? Thank you <3

Attachments

• 123 (2).jpg
    123 (2).jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 101
For ##a<R<b\ ## the expression you use for the contribution from the electron cloud is not correct. Are you familiar with the gauss theorem ?

##\ ##

1. What is an electron cloud?

An electron cloud is a region of space around an atomic nucleus where electrons are most likely to be found. It is also known as the electron orbital or energy level.

2. What is the E-field in an electron cloud?

The E-field, or electric field, in an electron cloud is a measure of the force that an electron experiences due to the presence of the positively charged nucleus. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

3. How is the E-field calculated in an electron cloud?

The E-field in an electron cloud is calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

4. What factors affect the E-field in an electron cloud?

The E-field in an electron cloud can be affected by the distance between the electron and the nucleus, the charge of the nucleus, and the number of electrons in the cloud. It can also be affected by the presence of other charged particles or external electric fields.

5. Why is it important to calculate the E-field in an electron cloud?

Calculating the E-field in an electron cloud is important for understanding the behavior of electrons in an atom and how they interact with each other and with other atoms. It can also help in predicting the properties and behavior of molecules and materials.