I did terrible on my Midterm exam

In summary: I'm screwed.Well because I need to have credits in the humanities and social sciences, etc. I dropped my astronomy course because I needed to switch my chemistry lab times and by that point, most of the interesting courses were full. This course was supposedly easy(it is, I have no excuse to get 50%) as long as you read through your notes a lot, and so I took... and now I'm screwed.
Zack K
So I need a bit of advice because I feel like crap right now. I'm a first year student right now majoring in physics, and I happen to be taking a criminology course as a breadth/elective course. I barely studied for the midterm exam because I thought it would be easy. Lo and behold I got 50% on this exam worth 30% of my mark and now I'm worried. Should I drop this course or keep it. If I keep it then it will affect my GPA(I want to get a really good gpa since I'm planning on going to graduate school). But if I drop it then it won't affect it, but I will lose the money. Also if I drop it, will it look bad on my transcript when applying to graduate school?:cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
A bad grade in one class will be fine, but one dropped class will be fine too. I wouldn't worry so much about it. I doubt it will matter much later on.
However, if I was looking at it and judging you based on transcripts, I would find it more admirable that you stuck it out even when it wasn't going well... as could be the situation in grad school when you go.

PCJJSBS said:
A bad grade in one class will be fine, but one dropped class will be fine too. I wouldn't worry so much about it. I doubt it will matter much later on.
However, if I was looking at it and judging you based on transcripts, I would find it more admirable that you stuck it out even when it wasn't going well... as could be the situation in grad school when you go.
I'm not so sure if I should drop it or not. I'll definitely ace the final now that I know what the expectations are. However I have a term paper due in 2 weeks that I am not confident writing in. My class is full of 2nd and 3rd year criminology students who know how to write a good sociology paper, and so my paper is going to be compared to theirs. My school has a summer term so and I'm going to do a bunch of courses in the summer as well. So I wonder if dropping it will be the better idea(this course had a prerequisite that I didn't know about so I wonder if that's a good justification).

Zack K said:
So I need a bit of advice because I feel like crap right now. I'm a first year student right now majoring in physics, and I happen to be taking a criminology course as a breadth/elective course. I barely studied for the midterm exam because I thought it would be easy. Lo and behold I got 50% on this exam worth 30% of my mark and now I'm worried. Should I drop this course or keep it. If I keep it then it will affect my GPA(I want to get a really good gpa since I'm planning on going to graduate school). But if I drop it then it won't affect it, but I will lose the money. Also if I drop it, will it look bad on my transcript when applying to graduate school?:cry:

Zack K said:
I'm not so sure if I should drop it or not. I'll definitely ace the final now that I know what the expectations are. However I have a term paper due in 2 weeks that I am not confident writing in. My class is full of 2nd and 3rd year criminology students who know how to write a good sociology paper, and so my paper is going to be compared to theirs. My school has a summer term so and I'm going to do a bunch of courses in the summer as well. So I wonder if dropping it will be the better idea(this course had a prerequisite that I didn't know about so I wonder if that's a good justification).

Out of curiosity, as a physics major, why in the world did you take that class? This is like a psychology major taking a modern physics course populated by physics majors!

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Out of curiosity, as a physics major, why in the world did you take that class? This is like a psychology major taking a modern physics course populated by physics majors!

Zz.
Well because I need to have credits in the humanities and social sciences, etc. I dropped my astronomy course because I needed to switch my chemistry lab times and by that point, most of the interesting courses were full. This course was supposedly easy(it is, I have no excuse to get 50%) as long as you read through your notes a lot, and so I took it.

Going forward, what have you learned from this experience and what will your approach be if you find yourself in a similar situation again? I mean missing a prerequisite or finding yourself in a difficult class again, what will be your approach?

Last edited:

1. Why did I do so terrible on my Midterm exam?

There could be many reasons for your poor performance on the Midterm exam. It could be due to lack of preparation, not understanding the material, or test anxiety. Reflect on your study habits and seek help from your instructor if needed.

2. Will my low score on the Midterm exam affect my overall grade?

It depends on the weight of the Midterm exam in your course. If it is a significant portion of your grade, then it may have a significant impact. However, if the exam is only a small portion of your grade, you may still have the opportunity to improve your grade through other assignments and exams.

3. Can I retake the Midterm exam to improve my grade?

This depends on your instructor's policies. Some may allow retakes or offer opportunities for extra credit, while others may not. It is best to communicate with your instructor and see if there are any options available.

4. Should I drop the course if I did terrible on the Midterm exam?

Dropping the course should be a last resort. Consider talking to your instructor or academic advisor before making any decisions. They can offer guidance and support to help you improve your performance in the course.

5. How can I do better on the next exam if I did terrible on the Midterm exam?

Take this as a learning opportunity and make a plan to improve your studying and test-taking strategies. Talk to your instructor or seek tutoring if needed. It is also essential to stay organized and keep up with the course material to do well on future exams.