I don't understand how to turn my economic predictions into strategies

• Thread starter SlurrerOfSpeech
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Economic
In summary, investment/hedging strategies involve buying and selling securities to achieve a desired outcome.
SlurrerOfSpeech
investment/hedging strategies.

Let me give you an example. Let's say I believe the following will happen

• Price of oil will go up at least 50% over next year
  • DOW will dip under 15,000 by end of 2017
  • Median home price will drop 30% over next 2 years
How do I actually turn these predictions into financial instruments? I have a Vanguard brokerage account and I know how to make daily bets against markets by using inverse ETFs, but I don't know how to make risky bets that span weeks or months or years.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you are talking about mostly is peculation - you have to decide if your belief is good enough to gamble.
The principle is to buy low sell high ... so at the most direct level, you think oil prices will rise over the next year? Buy oil now and sell after next year.
The oil price has a knock-on effect due to oil being used in everything, but the manufacturers may not always be able to pass the increased cost down the supply chain (ultimately to the consumer). You have to decide if your portfolio includes investments that are affected by the oil price, and check the history to see how those investments usually fare which prices rise.

It's the same as using information for any kind of gambling.
Good luck.

Trade options. You only have to pay a price to buy the option, and you buy it with those expiration periods. The advantage over buying future contracts of those assets is that this way your risk will be limited and set at the beginning, whereas with futures you would have to be ready to endure serious drawdowns if you were to hold until a specific date.

Likes fresh_42
Betting sites. Also you can buy or short sell index funds. In your case oil, Dow or real estate funds. Or buy/sell options on them.

Last edited:
As mentioned earlier, you need derivatives (options being the simplest example). For #2, you would want to do a short sale of a DJIA-tracking ETF, or just the 30 underlying stocks.

However, what you really need is a book. Your position is that you can do better than professional traders on derivatives that you can't even name. That's not likely. You need a book.

Likes mheslep and strangerep
Last edited by a moderator:
Likes jtbell
Random fluctuations are unpredictable and tend towards zero in the long term.
'Insider' trading though is profitable in the long term, but generally illegal.

DO NOT TRADE OPTIONS OR FUTURES! Please. These instruments were designed to hedge against unfavorable movements in securities prices during periods of exposure to changes in price. They are an insurance policy. However traders have turned them into gambling instruments. IMO, there should be no naked positions in options or futures. If you do not own the asset, you should not trade the contracts. All that being said, they are great instruments for covered positions. That is, you can hedge losses from downward pricing in assets you own by buying put options (usually 1 mo to 12 mo), or you can leverage returns by buying call options (same duration). I do not offer advice on where to invest money, but I will warn of the dangers of trading options. They are not for retail investors per se.

+1

I would also avoid options and futures. Too risky. ETFs are safer but it depends on the ETF. ETFs trade like a share and generally track an index or commodity like Oil.

There are plenty of guides to ETFs out there for example..
http://individual.troweprice.com/public/Retail/Products-&-Services/Brokerage/Exchange-Traded-Funds

You can buy "Short ETFs" that go up when the index or commodity they are tracking goes down but they are not without problems. If you think you understand Short or Inverse ETFs read this..
http://news.morningstar.com/articlenet/article.aspx?id=271892

1. What is the process for turning economic predictions into strategies?

The process for turning economic predictions into strategies involves analyzing the current economic data and trends, identifying potential risks and opportunities, and developing a plan of action based on this information. This may include adjusting budgets, reallocating resources, or implementing new business practices.

2. How can I ensure that my strategies are effective?

To ensure that your strategies are effective, it is important to regularly review and update them based on changing economic conditions. Additionally, seeking feedback from experts in the field and conducting thorough research can help inform your decisions and improve the effectiveness of your strategies.

3. What role does data play in developing economic strategies?

Data plays a crucial role in developing economic strategies as it provides valuable insights into the current state of the economy and helps identify potential risks and opportunities. By analyzing data, you can make informed decisions and develop strategies that are tailored to the specific economic conditions.

4. How do I determine which economic predictions to focus on?

When determining which economic predictions to focus on, it is important to consider the reliability and accuracy of the data source. It is also helpful to prioritize predictions that are most relevant to your specific industry or business. Additionally, seeking the advice of experts and conducting thorough research can help guide your decision-making process.

5. What can I do if my economic predictions do not align with my strategies?

If your economic predictions do not align with your strategies, it is important to reassess and adjust your strategies accordingly. This may involve revisiting your data sources, seeking advice from experts, and being open to making changes to your original plan. Flexibility and adaptability are key when it comes to navigating the ever-changing economic landscape.