I don't understand this Vapor Concept problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the volume of oxygen gas at different temperatures and pressures, using the ideal gas law and Dalton's law. The final answer is found to be 4.2 mL.
Mackydoodle

Homework Statement

If oxygen gas occupies 25mL at -25 'C and 65 mm Hg.
What is the volume at 25 'C and 350 mmHg?

Homework Equations

P1+P2+P3=Ptotal

The Attempt at a Solution

I am really not sure how to do this :(
I think maybe I figured it out. Please see below!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand P1+P2+P3=Ptotal.

The volume of a gas changes, depending on pressure and temperature. Do you know a law that describes this? (It is a law that describes an ideal gas)

The ideal gas law equation

Ok I think I might have the answer this is what I cam up with but I am not sure...
Here it is:

25mL/248K = X/298K

Which equals 30.04mL (I still don't believe this is right)

Last edited:
Mackydoodle said:
P1+P2+P3=Ptotal

Mackydoodle said:
The ideal gas law equation

It has nothing to do with the ideal gas equation. If anything, it looks like Dalton's law.

Ok I think I might have the answer this is what I cam up with but I am not sure...
Here it is:

(P1V1)/T1=(P2V2)/T2

V2=(65x25x318) / (350x248) = 4.2

Correct approach, but you need to hone your calculator skills.

To solve this problem, we can use the ideal gas law equation PV = nRT. Since we are dealing with a gas at different temperatures and pressures, we can use the combined gas law equation P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2. First, we need to convert the given temperatures to Kelvin by adding 273.15. So, -25 'C becomes 248.15 K and 25 'C becomes 298.15 K. Now, we can plug in the given values into the equation:

(65 mmHg)(25mL)/248.15K = (350 mmHg)(V2)/298.15K

Solving for V2, we get V2 = (65 mmHg)(25mL)(298.15K)/(350 mmHg)(248.15K) = 18.8 mL

Therefore, the volume at 25 'C and 350 mmHg is 18.8 mL.

The concept of vapor refers to the gaseous state of a substance, which is different from its liquid or solid state. In this problem, we are dealing with the behavior of oxygen gas at different temperatures and pressures, which can affect its volume. By using the combined gas law equation, we are able to calculate the change in volume of the gas under different conditions. This concept is important in understanding the behavior of gases and their properties, which has many practical applications in various fields of science and technology.

Related to I don't understand this Vapor Concept problem?

1. What is the Vapor Concept problem?

The Vapor Concept problem is a scientific concept related to the behavior of gases and liquids. It refers to the process of a liquid turning into a gas, also known as vaporization.

2. Why is the Vapor Concept important to understand?

Understanding the Vapor Concept is important because it helps us explain and predict the behavior of substances in various situations, such as in chemical reactions and in the environment.

3. How does the Vapor Concept relate to the states of matter?

The Vapor Concept is closely related to the states of matter, specifically the transition from liquid to gas. It is one of the processes that defines the difference between these two states.

4. What factors affect the rate of vaporization?

The rate of vaporization is affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, surface area, and the nature of the substance itself. Higher temperatures and lower pressures generally lead to faster vaporization.

5. What are some real-life examples of the Vapor Concept?

Some real-life examples of the Vapor Concept include boiling water to make tea, evaporation of sweat to cool the body, and the formation of clouds in the atmosphere. It also plays a role in various industrial processes, such as distillation and drying.