I feel like the term fundamental fields is a cop out

In summary, you feel that asking what an electromagnetic force field is "actually" is a meaningless question. You feel that the term "fundamental fields" is a cop out, and that asking about it "ad infinitum" is no different than a five year old asking why over and over again.
jaydnul
Whenever I ask someone what an electromagnetic field is exactly, they say that science does how questions, not why questions (which doesn't really make sense in this context, maybe i worded my question differently). We say that there are four fundamental forces that create the universe we live in, and that those forces are fundamental to the universe... end of story. There is no point in asking what a force field actually is. I feel like this is sort of like that guy who said at the turn of the century that everything that can be invented has been invented. I mean we already kind of have an explanation for gravity, bent space-time and all that. So is it that we kind of have an idea what, say, an electromagnetic force field actually is but it's too complicated to explain to the masses?

Physics news on Phys.org
Depending on what you mean, asking what an electromagnetic field is is not a 'why' question.

Ultimately, physics tells us how to calculate things that match up to experiments. Why do these equations match up to the experiments? Could they be different in a different universe? We can't answer these with physics, because ultimately, everything has to be backed up by experiments.

Jd0g33 said:
I mean we already kind of have an explanation for gravity, bent space-time and all that.

That explanation is no better or worse than our explanation of what a force field is. It's just the most accurate description we can come up with at the moment.

So is it that we kind of have an idea what, say, an electromagnetic force field actually is but it's too complicated to explain to the masses?

We have absolutely no idea what anything "actually" is, because asking what something "actually is" is a meaningless question. If I were to ask what a dog is, the best possible answer would be to describe, in detail, the characteristics of a dog and how it relates to other things. Then, if I asked what a dog "actually" is, you would have no choice but to scratch your head and say "That IS what it actually is". This is exactly what we do in science when it comes to things like particles and fields. We find out how things work, what their characteristics are, and then we say "this is what X is".

Jd0g33 said:
... science does how questions, not why questions ...

The fact that you don't like it that this is true does not make it any less true.

Fields in the above context are perfectly well defined mathematically. Keep in mind that even in GR, the geometric object that actually "describes" gravity is also a field.

The "why" question can never have a good answer - even when it's applied to some human action ("Why did you steal that £1?") The question demands an answer that describes the motivation behind the action. Where humans are concerned, (or other living things) you just can't be sure of motivation; even their stated 'reason' cannot be relied upon. With Physics, there is no motive involved at all. Electrons don't ever move because they want to get to the positive charge.
All you can hope for, in Science, will be a description of the process, the relationships between variables and the possibility of predicting what will happen in the future. The word 'how', will elicit such a description because there is no requirement for motivation.

Jd0g33 said:
Whenever I ask someone what an electromagnetic field is exactly, they say that science does how questions, not why questions (which doesn't really make sense in this context, maybe i worded my question differently). We say that there are four fundamental forces that create the universe we live in, and that those forces are fundamental to the universe... end of story. There is no point in asking what a force field actually is. I feel like this is sort of like that guy who said at the turn of the century that everything that can be invented has been invented. I mean we already kind of have an explanation for gravity, bent space-time and all that. So is it that we kind of have an idea what, say, an electromagnetic force field actually is but it's too complicated to explain to the masses?
Are you asking us about what the EM field is fundamentally, or are you just complaining about previous responses you have received?

I feel like the term fundamental fields is a cop out...

The thing is, nobody cares about your feelings until you have actually accomplished something. Until then, it's just another uninformed opinion.

The other thing is, "...but what is it really" can be asked over and over again ad infinitum. It's no different than a five year old discovering he can ask "...but why?" over and over again until his parents are driven crazy. Don't think you have discovered anything deeper than this.

The third thing is, you can do this everywhere in science. "What is a giraffe?" You can go on and on describing various features, but ultimately, you'll never get a more fundamental answer than pointing at one and being told "That. That is a giraffe."

You've got a number of very polite answers to what was a rude and insulting question. "Cop out" indeed.

And this meaningless thread is done.

Zz.

What does the term "fundamental fields" mean?

The term "fundamental fields" refers to the underlying forces or interactions that govern the behavior of matter and energy in the universe. These fields are thought to be the building blocks of all physical phenomena.

Why is "fundamental fields" considered a cop out?

Some scientists argue that the term "fundamental fields" is a cop out because it is a vague and oversimplified way of explaining complex physical phenomena. It does not fully capture the intricacies and complexities of these fields.

Are fundamental fields the same as fundamental particles?

No, fundamental fields and fundamental particles are two different concepts. Fundamental particles are tiny units of matter that make up everything in the universe, while fundamental fields are the underlying forces that interact with these particles.

How do fundamental fields relate to the laws of physics?

Fundamental fields are the basis for the laws of physics. They are responsible for the interactions between particles and the resulting physical phenomena. The laws of physics describe the behavior of these fields and their effects on matter and energy.

What is the significance of understanding fundamental fields?

Studying and understanding fundamental fields is crucial in our quest to understand the fundamental nature of the universe. It helps us to explain and predict the behavior of matter and energy, and has practical applications in fields such as technology and medicine.