I from a physics brain: thermal capacity, conduction, cooling

In summary, the individual is conducting a zany experiment at home and needs to find a way to apply a cooling intensity factor of 70 mW/cm2. They want to cool material from 30 degrees Celsius to 2 degrees Celsius for at least one hour. The surface area of the cooling device needs to be around 100 cm2 and the only equipment available is a household freezer. The individual plans to put materials in the freezer and then apply them to the target. They are wondering which option to use - water in a plastic or metal container, a lead plate covered in plastic, a lead plate inside a metal container, or some other household materials or method. They are seeking help with algebraic concepts like thermal capacity and con
Lord Monckton
I am doing a zainy experiment at home.
I need to devise a way of applying a cooling intensity factor (CIF) of around 70 mW/cm2.
I need to cool material that is roughly 30 degrees Celsius down to around 2 degrees Celsius.
The cooling has to last for a period of one hour or more.
The surface area of the cooling devise has to be around 100 cm2.
The only equipment that I have at my disposal is a household freezer.
My plan is to place some sort of materials in the freezer, cool them down and then apply them to the target.
Should I use:
(A) Water in a plastic container?
(B) Water in a metal container?
(C) Lead plate covered in plastic?
(D) Lead plate inside a metal container?
(E) Some other household materials or a totally different method?

Please help. I have the attitude of a mad scientist, but struggle with algebraic concepts like thermal capacity and conduction.

Science news on Phys.org
At Physics Forums, we can help members analyze their systems, but it is contrary to Physics Forums rules to provide private free (or paid) consultation.

1. What is thermal capacity and how is it measured?

Thermal capacity, also known as heat capacity, is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius. It is measured in joules per degree Celsius (J/C). This measurement is obtained by dividing the amount of heat energy (in joules) by the change in temperature (in degrees Celsius).

2. How does conduction transfer heat between objects?

Conduction is the transfer of heat energy through direct contact between two objects. When two objects with different temperatures come into contact, the warmer object transfers some of its thermal energy to the cooler object until they reach thermal equilibrium.

3. How does cooling occur in physics?

Cooling occurs when heat energy is transferred from a warmer object to a cooler object, resulting in a decrease in temperature. This can happen through conduction, convection, or radiation. In physics, cooling is often described by laws such as the Second Law of Thermodynamics.

4. What factors affect the rate of cooling?

The rate of cooling is influenced by several factors, including the temperature difference between the object and its surroundings, the surface area of the object, the material of the object, and the medium in which the object is placed. Objects with a higher temperature difference, larger surface area, and better thermal conductivity will cool at a faster rate.

5. How can thermal capacity and cooling be applied in real-life situations?

Understanding thermal capacity and cooling is crucial in various fields, such as engineering, meteorology, and thermodynamics. It is used to design efficient cooling systems, predict temperature changes in different environments, and develop insulation materials to regulate heat transfer. In everyday life, knowledge of thermal capacity and cooling can also help with tasks such as cooking, refrigeration, and climate control.