I have a few questions about Warp drives? I am a layman.

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of warp drives and their feasibility. It touches on topics such as the warp shield, energy requirements, and the credibility of papers on the subject. Ultimately, it is suggested to read and discuss valid papers on the topic for a more informed discussion.
rgtr
TL;DR Summary
I have a few questions about Warp drives? I am a layman.
I watching this video and have a few questionsIs the warp shield the bending of space in the warp drive?

In a warp drive in order to speed you need a to feed in energy.

If you do not feed energy would the speed just be the speed of the ship?what is the warp shield made of? I mean is it man made or created by nature?Is the smaller the bubble the faster you go? How does this relate to Lentz's paper and my question?

Does Lentz's and Alcubierre's paper have the 3 criteria that Bobrick and Martire require to create the warpdrive?In Lentz's paper can the warp shield be created by nature or is it man made? In Lentz's and Alcubierre's papers can you accelerate faster then light?By shrinking the passenger area do you need less energy to go faster?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am sorry to say there are no trustworthy papers supporting warp drives.

But what about lentz's work?

rgtr said:
I watching this video
Videos are generally not good sources if you want to actually learn the physics. I would recommend picking some of the papers published on the subject (which you evidently are aware of since you refer to them in your post), reading them, and framing questions based on what you read. That will be a much better basis for PF discussion.

For example:

rgtr said:
what about lentz's work?
If you are interested in it, then read it, and pose questions here (in a new thread, since this one is going to be closed, as you will see shortly in a follow-up post from me) based on what you read.

anuttarasammyak said:
I am sorry to say there are no trustworthy papers supporting warp drives.
This is a bit extreme. "Warp drives" are perfectly mathematically valid solutions of the Einstein Field Equations, and there are plenty of perfectly valid papers describing these solutions and exploring their mathematical properties. They are generally not considered physically realistic because they generally require some form of "exotic matter", or have other peculiar properties that are generally not considered to be possible to actually realize. But that is a much weaker statement than the one you are making.

Likes anuttarasammyak
Since the thread is not based on a valid reference, it is now closed. A new thread on this topic can be started if it has a valid reference as a basis for discussion.

What is a Warp Drive?

A Warp Drive is a theoretical propulsion system that allows for faster-than-light travel. It was first proposed by physicist Miguel Alcubierre in 1994 and is based on the concept of manipulating space-time to achieve faster travel speeds.

How does a Warp Drive work?

A Warp Drive works by creating a bubble or warp in space-time around the ship, which contracts space in front of it and expands space behind it. This allows the ship to essentially ride the wave of space-time, traveling faster than the speed of light without violating the laws of physics.

Is a Warp Drive possible?

At this point in time, a Warp Drive is still purely theoretical and has not been proven to be possible. However, many scientists and researchers continue to study and explore the concept, and there have been some promising developments in recent years.

What are the potential benefits of a Warp Drive?

If a Warp Drive were to be successfully developed, it could potentially revolutionize space travel by allowing us to explore the universe at much faster speeds. This could open up new possibilities for interstellar travel and potentially lead to new discoveries and advancements in science and technology.

What are the challenges in developing a Warp Drive?

One of the main challenges in developing a Warp Drive is the immense amount of energy that would be required to create and sustain the space-time bubble. Additionally, there are still many unknowns and potential obstacles that would need to be overcome in order to make a Warp Drive a reality.